Cast Iron for wimps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Nov 3, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We switched all of our cooking pans to cast iron or copper a few years ago, and I never regretted it.
    Not until I began to notice some age-related weakness in my hands and wrists, making these stout implements more difficult for me to lift.
    I love my cast iron, but it sure is heavy.

Well, the other day I found and rescued some old pans from a junked travel trailer that had been a hunting camp...
    These were different from my Lodge brand because the handle has an arch in it.

What a difference that small design change makes in the handling! I can heave these heavties - no problem!

Just thought I'd share this little discovery with those out there who are just starting their collections.
    The brand name stamped on these curved handle pans is Wagner....

2. Thruwurkin

Thruwurkin Sixty Nine 'n' cruisin'

HEH HEH HEH....If you are having trouble liftin' 'em...Send 'em to me and I'll properly dispose of 'em.

Thruwurkin
    Kennewick, WA

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

I also switched all my pans to cast iron some time ago.. they just make so much sense! others lose their finish and give you cancer the more you use them, these just get better and better... no brainer right?

anyhow while up in tennessee i stopped by the lodge manufacturing plant in Pittsburgh and bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6?v=glance&n=284507&n=1000&s=kitchen&v=glance

this is the greatest thing since.. no GREATER than... sliced bread!

4. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

hi folks, i too was just at the Lodge outlet store where i bought 12 new pieces. I had 10 pieces already and all the larger ones have the new extra handle on the opposite side from the handle.

if you buy from ebay or amazon, you will likely get a good deal but may not have the new assisting handle. check the model number on the underside.

either way, you get a great product. as a side note, they folks in the store told me that you can still get many of the discontinued products on ebay and amazon in new condition. And often at small town or out-of-the-way hardware stores. happy cooking!

5. prayalot

prayalot Member

And I thought I was the only guy that shopped there....can't get past the place with out stopping. I too have made the switch to all lodge iron.

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Wow,that's nifty...I think I'll buy one of those. All the cast iron I have has been handed down to me,and while that does make it special,it's all very very heavy to work with.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

also if you go up there, stop by the tourist places first and you get a coupon to buy a 10 1/2" skillet for 3.99. only allowed to buy one, but i'm such a cast iron fanatic I paid all the adults with me to go in and get me one. I am so happy with my new cookware that I will never need to replace ever ever ever :)

yeah it's heavy, but at 6'3" 240 lbs I can't call it any names.. glasshouses and all... hehe :)

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My problem is also that they're so heavy; I have weak wrists and with the arthritis... well it's a real problem even lifting them empty! I have a couple in storage... and figure if need be, I can always get DH to lift them for me, LOL.