Cast Iron Cauldron Recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by punkrockpilot, Feb 12, 2004.

1. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Hi, we scored 2 new 2-gallon cast iron cauldrons on legs with covers at the flea market the other day. I am looking for a neat soup or stew recipe to break one in next time we go camping.

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

eye of newt
    toe of dog
    tounge of lark
    leg of frog

bubble bubble toil and troubles...
    hehe haha hohohoh

3. Do a web search for “dutch oven recipes” or “dutch oven cooking” and take your pick. You may need to “season” your pans before use. Do a search for seasoning cast iron pans and you should find all the information you need. Good Luck

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't understand why you think that you need a special recipe for your cast iron pot. Use any recipe you currently make at home on the stove for soups, stews or chili.

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

here's a desert for camping

1 white cake mix
    1 liter clear soda - any kind will do
    1 or 2 cups fresh fruit - whatever's fresh

put in the fruit
    cover with mix
    add soda (according to the liquid volume required on the box of cake mix)

cover and cook

There are some techniques for using a dutch oven in the campsite that differ from kitchen cooking. The use of coals in/on the cover, and under the oven take just a little practice. You can also stack the ovens and create a chimney effect with the heat from the coals. You could find yourself a metal "tray" to set them and some coals on while they cook. It takes a little practice to control the heat if you set them right in/on the fire pit.

There used to be a cooking show on TV called, The Campfire Cooker, or something like that. He was a real dutch oven advocate. He wrote a few books showing the techniques for using these great camp tools. The biggest problem is that you can't backpack with them.

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Be sure to season the kettel first.

mikell

7. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies - one just like it just sold for $102.50 on ebay. I paid $15 for 2 of them, i will be listing them both soon! :O)

8. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

I was told, when I bought my first piece of cast iron cookware, not to cook onions or tomatoes after seasoning. Something about the acid? Who knows...

Now I don't care as I re-season all of my cookware every few months or so. I love my cast iron, but there is the tendency for the previous meal's "culinary imprint" to show up in the next meal.

Just mi dos centavos.

mc

9. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Just like it?

They're most likely dutch ovens and if you bought them new at a flea market they'll probably have "China" stamped on them somewhere.

If that's the case, you'll not likely get a big price for them on eBay, but you still got a good deal for your own use.

Wally World sells the top-of-line American made Lodge about that size for around $35.

Dutch Oven Recipes

Seasoning, Use and Care