cast iron bathtub question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by puffdog, Mar 24, 2004.

1. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

We were going to put a mobile home on the old farm but they informed me they couldn't get up the road with one, So now we are trying to rework the old house to make it at least warm and dry. My question is is there any way to paint the inside of the old bathtub as it has stains and rust. Has anyone ever try to restore one. Thing is heavy about 300 to 350 lbs hate to move it and buy new. Thanks for any ideals

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we've got one also. Is the porceline(sp) gone or is it just real dirty? I don't think it can be painted and last. I'd try Barkeepers friend, scrubby pad(or steel wool if you feel brave) and some elbow grease. Hope this helps

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think I tried every great idea the paint store could offer me and a few others that people had suggested. The best luck I had with my old tub was when I stripped it completely and hauled it off to the nearest body shop. I think it cost me a couple hundred dollars with the clearcoat to help protect against my nasty water but it was still going strong when I sold the house. If I was going to do it again, the only thing I might do different would be to do a bit more reseach and see if one of the tech schools auto body classes might have been interested or something along that line. I loved my old tub and felt that it if I didn't spend any more than a new tub, I was fine.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My old tub is pitted and "dirty" looking, but I don't care. There is nothing like being able to lay all the way down in a tub!

I use "The Works" to take off rust stains, but where the porcelain has worn away enough to let the cast iron show through...nothing works. The good side is...no one will slip in the tub.

Jena

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I hope to PAINT one of the old tubs we will be installing in our new house.

I know Benjamin Moore has a good sturdy paint that is used for counter tops and refrigerators--so I intend to begin my shopping at a Benjamin Moore paint store in hopes they will make a recommendation for my tubs.

In may end up being the MOST EXPENSIVE paint I'll ever buy but it will still be much cheaper than having in done professionally.

We almost never take tub baths----so except for a very occasional soak it will be used very seldom.

I have 3 old tubs-----the 4 foot one will go up in the loft and never be hooked up---just filled with teddy bears and such.
    The best of the 5 foot ones will go in the bathroom with a paint job: and the other one will go out on the patio for an occasional swim pool for the GK's----or dog bath.

6. A "This Old House" episode told that they now have bathtub liners that can be installed.
    I haven't checked into one as of yet.

I also heard of a company that goes around and somehow makes a tub liner on site. I suppose they take the drains and fittings out, and somehow pull a vacuum through the drain to suck a hot plastic piece into form fitting shape.

I'm sure both cost considerable dollars, but I'd rather have the do it yourself liner if there is actually such a thing for homeowners.

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

We also have a good old tub with legs. I remember calling "someone" a few years back about re-doing the tub and it was a few hundred dollars. Needless to say, I didn't have it re-done. Think they were going to put new porcelain on the insides of it. Ours isn't really too bad. I just use the regular cleanser on it and it shines just fine. I did paint the outside of the tub and then had the grandchildren trace their hands on paper bags and send them to me when they were living overseas at the time and they were small. I traced and painted their little hands on the ouside of the tub and there they will remain forever. They are now graduating from school but their little hands on still there !! (sniff sniff) In our old farm house I don't think I would go and worry about my tub. There are too many other things that need money spent on and more time is needed to enjoy life. Just enjoy your tub and fill it up on a Saturday night and relax...!!!

8. handy

handy Member

Our last home had 2 claw foot tubs. The tub down stairs had chips and stains in the bottom and the dw found some epoxy paint that made the thing look like brand new. Couldn't tell that it wasn't porcelin. The product is called "Tough as Tile" and is a 2 part system. It's made by DIY products division of Rhodes American from Chicago Ill. It's been about 8 years since we did this and the tubs looks just great. Handy

9. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

Most of the big home supply stores such as Lowe's and Home Depot have a porcelain paint kit for tubs. If you follow the directions it will give you a nice finished product. The kit should be under $20.00.

10. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

thanks for the info, I need to make mine look good too!!

from homedepot.com

Liquid Nails
    32 oz. White Tub and Tile Epoxy Coating
    Model 8505
    Internet Catalog #128686

Tough, durable two-part epoxy formula. Creates high gloss, porcelain-like finish. Ideal for refinishing old tubs and tile to look like new. For porcelain and ceramic surfaces.

Price: $23.95

11. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

My Mom had her tub refinished professionally when I was in high school - it is just starting to show signs of wear and peeling in the corners now (going on 22 years, usually with three people using daily).

What I remember (I will call and get more details later today, then post those)

It cost her about $150 or so dollars, we couldn't use it for three or four days, and then had to dry it out after use for a couple more weeks. I think it took the guy about 4 hours to totally do it (will get the procedure and see if she knows what he used, perhaps can be done yourself!) from drain to floor.

It DID and DOES look painted... They can't get a smooth finish like the porcelain was - its not fired... But, it was pretty, and has lasted a long, long time without peeling. Like I said - its the corners that are peeling now, and that is probably more from replacing grout and caulk than any defect in the paint or workmanship. You won't be able to use heavy kitchen cleansers on it, though, and they don't like the liquid ones either, so will require either a true liquid (like tub and tile cleaner) or bleach or baking soda with vinegar, but that's a small price to pay...

Sue

12. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I now have the giggles as I read "...show signs of wear and peeling in the corners" as "...show signs of wear and peeing in the corners..."

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

My friend has just been talking about this. She told me about the kit you can buy, but she also got it priced to have it done professionally--$400! She decided to buy the kit or just buy a new one-she's not attached to this old one she got with the house and it is pink.