casper, wyoming

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kate, Oct 18, 2004.

1. kate

kate Well-Known Member

quick, tell me about casper wyoming. my son has a job offer and must make up his mind soon..........he is outdoorsy.......................wife, three kids and a dog
    thanks for any info

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Better check on home prices. Not sure, but seems like there is a shortage of housing in the area, according to a friend who's son lives there.

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

My cousin lives there and we have visited for hockey tournaments several times when my son was young. People are friendly, unless you're from a rival hockey team. My cousin planted a tree in his front yard and the wind blew it out of the ground. Most recreation is very reasonable compared to Denver. They have a ski area!? an airport, and good fishing in the surrounding areas. Winters are wicked. I have been amazed that anyone ever settled there, but the people that are there are nice. I remember the Hilton hotel was one third the cost of NY City and about 10 times better.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, Wyoming (except for the mountains) is pretty much desert. Very dry.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have family that has lived in Casper since.....heck I don't know...forever! If he has a good job, that's the major part of the battle.

My cousins have pictures of their house buried to the eaves in snow. It's not that they get so much snow, just that the same snow blows around and around and around all winter long.

I would live there except I couldn't find a job and I don't like the idea of digging my cows out of snowdrifts.

Jena

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I've lived in Casper for the last 17 years. It's high desert plains. Rainfall of only 8 to 10 inches per year. Hope he likes the wind. We get a lot of it here. Winters generally do not get a lot of snow. usualy just 5 or 6 bad storms that melt inbetween each one (muddy). Summer days typically reach the high 90's with a couple of days in the 100's

We do have Casper Mountain just to the south of us for summer getaways to the forest and skiing in the winter. Alcova and Pathfinder res. or to our west for boating and fishing. Most people here are the outdoorsy type with lots of hunting and camping within close distance.

Housing has been rising the last couple of years but still nothing close to the Colorado or NW Wyoming prices.

Casper does have a Meth proplem. But not much crime from it. I've stayed here because this is where my kids are (from my 1st marrage). When it comes time to retire I will be leaving.