Cashmere goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Flyer, May 31, 2005.

1. Flyer

Flyer New Member

Hi,

I'm new here, although a few years back I used to write in. However, we moved and had to sell our animals and now we are starting over.

I am interested in getting a cashmere goat, as well as a boar/alpine cross. First of all, can you tell me if the boar/alpine would be a good milker. I thought this would be a good way to go so that any bucks born could be raised up for meat, but that we would also enjoy the milk because of the alpine. I have heard that a boar/nubian and boar/saanen would be a good cross. I have had plenty of experience with dairy goats, but no meat cross goats or fiber goats.

The reason I want the cashmere is that I am a spinner. My questions regarding a cashmere are can they be milked....is it worth it? Also, can I disbud one with the elastrator method (I am looking at a two month old doe at the moment). I have heard that the cashmere's should not be disbudded, but those horns would pose a problem in my barn. I have always had goats with horns, but my barn is smaller than what I was used to by a long shot, and I don't want any injuries, although taking off their horns also takes away any defense they might have against coyotes. I don't know if that will be a problem or not yet. I sure hope not!

Any information would be most helpful.

Thank you.

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Where are you? And I think you are looking for Angoras...but I could be wrong. I have VERY limited experience with goats and even less with the fiber breeds. I've only had mine for about 9 mos...

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You can milk cashmeres, but their teets are small and kind of hard - a real finger workout. They're more of a meat goat. Also, milk production and fiber production both take protein - they produce extra milk at the expense of their undercoat. So there is a trade-off.

I haven't heard from anyone that you can't or shouldn't disbudd cashmeres. Most people just don't. The doe's horns go up and back and aren't much of a problem to work around. The male's horns go out and twist a bit - those can be a bit much to deal with.

4. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

Hi from NM, Flyer. There is a rather large concentration of cashmere raisers in both the NE and NW of the country; Maine seems to have several breeders so get on the CAPRA website and see if you can locate some. You will not get much cashmere off of ONE goat. Max would be 1-2.5 pounds, and it is rather labor-intensive. Not enough to spin much of anything. Since the cashmere goat is essentially a mixed breed goat, I would imagine you might be able to find a doe that had a reasonably sized udder, but most of them tend to be crossed with the meat types and a large udder capacity is way down the list. In that way, it IS a dual purpose goat, but not for dairy. Don't ever get just one goat, anyway! They are herding animals.... soooooo, may as well get a couple of cashmere wethers and a dairy doe. I raise colored angoras myself, so not too well versed on cashmeres, but have fun with it all. debra in nm (SW Fiber Goat Assn).