Case IH 395 problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by gardengal1017, Oct 1, 2005.

1. gardengal1017

gardengal1017 Member

I have a case IH 395 tractor. Thursday it was working fine while we were moving hay.. Yesterday morning when we started it, it started up but ran very sluggish for a minute, then died and has not started since. We have been working on it, and decided it was not getting fuel to the injectors. We took the line from the tank and put it in a quart jar of fuel and when we tried to start it, instead of pumping the fuel forward, it was blowing air out of the fuel hose. Can any one tell us why? And what should I look at next to get it running?

Thanks,

Gardengal

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Are you sure you didn't take the return line off? In that case it should blow bubbles. Sounds like a plugged filter coming off the other line to the pump.

3. gardengal1017

gardengal1017 Member

Thanks, Ross. I'll get the guys to check that.

gardengal

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Since you used the word "fuel" I'll assume it's a diesel . At some point you'll need to need to allow the air in the injector lines to bleed off . To accomplish this , simply , take an open end wrench and loosen the nut right where the injectors screw into the head . When you crank the engine over asmall amount of fuel ...and air...will escape , it should start with no trouble , then simply retighten each nut and the air should have escaped . fordy... :)

5. gardengal1017

gardengal1017 Member

Thanks, Fordy. That sounds like a good idea to try. Will have to wait until in the morning, though. I'm wore out from messing with this buger.

gardengal