Case Carburetor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by sue currin, May 7, 2006.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a carb for a case tractor fo 5 months, I want a used one It is a Marvel- Schebler, Any body have one they want to sell, I am buying, This carb goes on lots of things, like welders and gas dozzers, It is just an old up-draft carb, the Zenthi want work, because it ia backwards.

2. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Go to Ebay - search for "marvel-schebler" - lots of carbs and parts there.

cheers,

3. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Have a photo or number? What is venturi diameter and mounting hole dimension center to center. I have some old bits- blowing cold rain today-going to shop for a few hours-let me know- p.m. if you want. Dan

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

whats wrong with the one on the tractor?

5. sue currin

want work unless i pour gas in it. go to hotmail

6. ace admirer

errr? hotmail? you know i don't know anything about modern technology?!?!?!

anyway. is fuel making it out of the tank? don't know anything about the cases, but i'm guessing yours has a mechanical fuel pump? or is it gravity feed from the tank?

gas quality is pretty bad about gumming these days. with your winter i would look at a stuck needle valve above the float. i would probably try opening the carb bowl float (probably a small plug in the bottom). remove the fuel inlet line at the carb and try spraying in carb cleaner. if it makes it through the needle valve it should drain out the bottom. if this happens and it does not help. then:

maybe gas metering orfice is stopped up. take out fuel adjustment screw and try the carb cleaner there. (note number of turns out so you can replace screw in about the same mixture.) if none of this helps....time to take carb off tractor and start cleaning.....if you are carefull, you might not need a gasket kit....i don't have a reference for the cases,,,so don't know which model marvel you have. but try www.VALU-BILT.com

i once had problems with a marvel on an international H, after taking the carb apart several times, i found a broken off drill under the metering orifice. i guess someone tried to clean the passage with a drill.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't understand this message at all, what did you mean to say? ;)

Valu-Bilt sells a lot of remanufatured or new carbs for old tractors, _if_ you had a model # maybe could find one their. They have a wb site, but a phone call will get you a lot farther on finding stuff, they do the best they can with the web site....

--->Paul

8. sue currin

Valu-built wants alot of money for the carb, was hoping to get a better deal from some junked out tractor the Number is TSX-635

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The junked out tractor carb is not going to be any better and maybe worse than the one you have. Find someone that can clean your carb and put in new gaskets. There is probably very little wrong with the carb you have.

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I agree with Agmantoo on this issue, find a retired mechanic and let them go through your unit; they might do it just for the fun of feeling usefull!

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The Rebuild kit is the way to go. It should be NO more than $30.00 and its easy to do.

12. ace admirer

what about the butterfly is broken? is it choke or throttle? i have a cross reference chart around here some where showing which carbs were used on which tractors....i'll try to find it tonight...ur email must not work, your box here is too full to get mail either.

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

14. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

Go to http://www.ytmag.com and ask on there. Lot's of old retired duffers, as well as young'ns, who love tractors and will know what you want or need hang out there.
    My bro has several little case tractors, some runnin and some parts tractors but I don't know what size etc. oldhoot.

15. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Found the box of old carbs/pieces but I fear it is of little overall value. The folks previous have nailed it for you. I am betting it is a gravity feed with a sediment bowl/shut off valve. IF the valve will still shut off, remove that bowl and clean it and follow path on down to carb. These old carbs are pretty bulletproof and simple. If you are not sure, make notes as you proceed. Worst case likely a kit-try NAPA-you might be pleasantly surprised. Instructions generally included with a blow up diagram. Luck, Dan

16. sue currin

Got carb working, solderd the broken peice back on and cleaned it for a third time and it is running. thanks for all your help. I got 3 old carbs that were all different and made one

17. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Howcome u have the ability to make a carb out of 3 unrelated carbs, but you cant tell us what the darned year and model Casae it is u was working on?????????????????????

18. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, that was an interesting journey........ I'm not really sure where we arrived, but at least we arrived. :)

--->Paul

19. sue currin

I stated the modle number in a post up the line. The case is a 440, 1967 year. I used 2 Zenthis and a smaller S_M. I used the throttle buterfliy off the S-M and the rock arm off the Zenth. The third cleaning was a great help. I had to solder the opening to the throtte to adjust for slack so that the goveror would keep up. So far every thing is doing well. I am sorry I can't express myself well, I guess my hands are able to do things better then my writing. Thanks for the advice. Sorry I was confussing.