Case baler engine fuel pump

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by FarmboyBill, Oct 3, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1960 Case 140 W baler that has a 4 cyl air cooled Case engine on it set crosswise. It has a fuel pump to pump gas up into the carb from the fuel tank down beside it on the frame. Anyway, the pump quit. Cant find another, nor one that crosses. I have a couple here, but they say the foot, the part that goes against the cam in the engine is too wide. Im wondering, if I could grind off a bit on either side and use it or not. Thanks for the thoughts.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is an electric start system one could just put an electric fuel pump on the unit, and leave the old mechanical in place for a dust cover, or make a new dust cover,

or place the tank over head and gravity feed the carburetor,

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

can you take pix of this engine? also any tags that are on it, have a friend with a large stock of parts for all makes of engines! couldn't take the old one apart and move the foot too the new pump? the old case balers i have seen are all pto powered so have not seen an engine powered case. mcormick,new holland and massey harris i have seen with wisconsin's (missed a 1955 new holland)

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Move the tank higher to where it will gravity flow gas.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Some years ago I had a Datsun pickup. Mechanical fuel pump went. Local parts places wanted $50 for one. One for 4cyl Chev was $15. I removed foot from both pumps, and with little welding grafted outer part of Datsun foot to upper part of Chevy foot. Welded in little reinforcing and never had a problem. Never did figure why the pump for the Datsun was so much higher priced.

Never liked electric pump when there was a mechanical pump option. Now on my old MH444 tractor, it had gravity feed. No mechanical pump. I added very low pressure electric pump and it solved lot headaches when driving on hills. Trouble is electric fuel pumps for carb systems are now $50, used to be $20 so not cheap option anymore. Now the previous owner of my Ranger V6 had bypassed mechanical pump with an electric though they just left electric pump dangling in engine compartment. It would get hot and stop working. I had to move it to inside of frame near gas tank. I couldnt get a replacement mechanical pump locally, the AutoZone computer even had their $50 universal electric pump listed as the proper and only replacement. Guess they did this to no longer have to stock a variety of mechanical pumps.

6. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

my experience has been to make a cover plate for the block and a gasket and just use an electric pump just below the tank put in a brass valve just after and a switch to turn it off when you are done haying for the season just turn off the power close the valve and let it run out of fuel maybe fog the carb if the old pump isn't leaking sometimes you can just put in the electricand it will push right thru the old one

cost 20.00
    never having vapor locked fuel lines again pricless

7. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

SAides, Ive already got one. Just hated to change anything on the baler. Hate change period LOL The plunger can only be 1/4in wide to get thru the block crack made for it. Know any cars that use such a fuel pump??

8. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

20 years ago an alternator was $155. for my tractor. a rebuilt alternator for my pick up was $28. I just modified the mount by sawing off the mounting tube and it worked fine.