case 440 stuck in drive

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Oct 8, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

My case is stuch in drive. I can't even get it in nutral so I can take the cover plate off. I really need it in low, even high would be better then drive.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........Your clutch may need adjusting . If the adjusting rod doesn't have enough travel when you depress the pedal the pressure plate isn't disengaging from the flywheel . Try turning off the engine and then see if you can get it to shift into neutral . I think I said this correctly . Or you may have an auto . If , so , check the fluid level after the engine warms up . Different brands of tractors use different kinds of transmission fluid . fordy... :)

3. sue currin

the 1 through 4 gears go in just fine. I checked the fuild levels, all is good there. If the cluch wasn't working right whouldn"t I have problems with shifting the other gears? or not?

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................sue , yes , the clutch would create problems with all gears I would think . Well , I thought maybe the problem might have just manifested itself . If i'm interpreting your problem correctly , you have 2 shift arms , 1 for the basic gears choices and another for the hi range<<or>>low range , is this correct?? and the problem is that the range shifter won't allow you to shift "it" back into neutral or into Hi range ?? is this correct , and has it done this beore?? fordy.. :)

5. sue currin

that's right. I am stuck in drive can't get it to L or H

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............OK , then you must BE in neutral , that is why you can shift into and out of the 4 basic gears with no problem . So , did this just happen , if yes I'll still say your clutch could need an adjustment or some other problem within the tranny itself that will have to be diagnosed by a competent mechanic . fordy... :help:

7. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I agree with Fordy. I had this same problem with my manual transmission car once...just ended up being the clutch cable, which was an easy fix. Deb

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I am _totally_ unfamiliar with Case tractors. This is generic info:

There are little paddles, generally, that the gear selector set in place. These are messed up, likely the base of the gear selector is worn & allows itself to slip out of place.

Often there is a little plate next to, or the housing of the gear selector itself, unbolts & comes off. Take this off, use a big screwdriver to get all the tabs back in line, and bolt together.

For specific Case infor, go to www.ytmag.com - those folks on the Case forum will know your model & what exactly to do.

--->Paul

9. sue currin

no I am not in nutural Iam in drive. If I was in nutural then I could take off the cover plate and move the gears by hand.

10. sue currin

Thanks I went to tymag this morning. have not got a responce yet will just keep working at it. Now my stihl want start. just one of those days I guess. At least I have my dog that thinks every thing is just fine

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............................sue , does your tractor have a grease cert around the shift arms to grease the throwout bearing . If yes , when was the last time you greased your throwout bearing ?? fordy :)

12. sue currin

If so you can not see it from the outside. and until I get it in nutural, I can't take the cover off

13. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok Sue, What was the tractor doing just before you noticed the problem, had you just shifted gears or gear range? was it for instance rolling as range lever shiffted. i know that the case is kinda big, but have you tried having someone roll the tractor back and forth while someone is trying to shift range lever? you did good posting at ymag. usually someone there will have a similiar problem and reply.... as you work on tractor, be carefull, lots to get hurt by....i'm going to go to ymag and search for your tractor for infromation....post back soon. sorry you are having one of those days...don't kick the dog....

14. ace admirer

Sue,

does your tractor have a clutch peddle and also a hand lever on the left side?
    if it also has the hand lever clutch, can you shift the hand lever in and out of engagment?
    is the pto output shaft turning?
    can you crank engine and run engine with no problems?
    or is engine/driveline engaged?
    is tractor in a bind (in a ditch, against a tree? etc?)
    if i have a chance to run by tractor supply tomarrow, i'll check for a manual, i really don't know anything about the 430/440 line of cases.

suspect shifter forks worn or broken on range select,

cover cannot be removed because shifter mechinism protrudes past cover opening, must be aligned to allow cover to be removed. answer each question and someone who knows will try to help.

(a good week for me is when nothing breaks)

15. sue currin

both clutch peddle and hand level. I can shift the hand level in and out. I can start and run tractor. The tractor is not in a bind. I just tried to put it in low from high and it slipped into drive and there it remains

16. ace admirer

ok then, can you get the pto to stop turning by pressing in the foot peddle?

if so then i believe the clutch is working properly, if this is true, then

try rocking the tractor back and forth while trying to shift range lever. or alternately jack up one rear wheel and have someone rotate wheel back and forth while attempting to change range.

17. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Case has never been known for shifting easyness, remove the shift stick by turning the steel boot a 20 degree amount after pushing down on it, usually to the counterclockwise direction. Take a long screwdriver and place the 3 slots in a parallel position, then reinsert the shifter stick, lock down the boot, you will see the slots before reinserting. Find a place to carry the screwdriver, you will need it often.

Bent shifter forks are a common problem for older Cases.

18. ace admirer

Well sue, hows the tractor business going.....any progress?