Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just around here, or are you seeing new car lots with fewer cars?

It even seems used car lots have fewer cars than normal.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
They apparently can't make them fast enough.
millions of NYC people who fled now need a car.
others turned travel money into home repairs and new cars.
others realized they no longer wanted to fly everywhere and bought a vehicle to travel with.

look at used car and truck prices , a truck that would have brought 6K in Feb 2020 would being 8K today even a year older .

my concern is with this all eclectic by 2035 which is only 14 years away that we are going to start to look like Cuba , if you don't know about Cuba they have been able to import very very few cars since the late 50s so the streets are full of beautiful old 1950s cars that have been rebuilt and rebuilt they have an entire small industry of fabricating nearly every part for their cars because of no imports.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
From what I've been told the US manufacturers are having trouble getting the computer components and chips (from China), so there are lots of nearly completed vehicles sitting at the plants ready for computer parts to be installed. Don't know if that's the truth or not, but it's what a few folks that work at an auto plant told me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It's true. There is one chip they can't get that some have decided they'll ship the vehicles without it. It doesn't affect the function of the vehicle. The article I read wasn't specific on what the chip was for.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Don't remember the last time I looked at a car lot. Seriously.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My two trucks are a 90 & 99. If need something else I can get it from Dad's inventory...

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It was difficult for us to find a NEW work van a few months ago. I mean, for under 45,000.

The prices on used were so crazy it didn't make sense to get a loan on a vehicle with 70,000 miles

cars are money pits. no matter what.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
It's a chip problem like @Fishindude said. That's what the dealer said when I went to buy my car. There is a big shortage on the chips. I could take what they had available on the lots in the area or I could wait for the exact car I wanted to be built. It would have been a 3-4 month wait. Since I could find all the features I wanted except for the color I wanted, I went with what they had.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get old cars, and keep them. Of course, the plan is, that we won't have cars anymore. That will be for emergency-use only. We should just live in liveable, walkable, shoppable, workeable cities, and ride our bikes everywhere. Seriously, get your chit straight, and plan for the time that traveling won't be kosher no more, 'cept for the chosen ones. Because it's coming within ten years unless someone gets a wild hair and stops these old, cocky d-bags. I doubt it. I'm gonna be walkin' and lookin' thin, but still mean.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Wait until your new self driving capable car decides you don't really need to go there or there is a better place you ought to choose instead or you have exceeded your allotted number of miles this month. You'll enjoy your new servitude to your overlords....or not.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
32,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Son is trading in a five year old F150, getting the same amount as he paid for it new. He is going from a 150 to a 350.
That is incredible

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Is it just around here, or are you seeing new car lots with fewer cars?

It even seems used car lots have fewer cars than normal.
I went shopping for a auto yesterday in Popla Bluff, Mo. No prices on the autos and no help outside. About 1/3 autos on the used car lot at the new auto dealer. No one came out to sell me an auto. I didn't go into the office. Most times there are sales people all over the auto lot. None yesterday. I also didn't know what the deal was. Just have to go to St. Louis dealers they have lots of auto there at a really reduced price. Like 500-2000 bucks reduced for sale.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I went shopping for a auto yesterday in Popla Bluff, Mo. No prices on the autos and no help outside. About 1/3 autos on the used car lot at the new auto dealer. No one came out to sell me an auto. I didn't go into the office. Most times there are sales people all over the auto lot. None yesterday. I also didn't know what the deal was. Just have to go to St. Louis dealers they have lots of auto there at a really reduced price. Like 500-2000 bucks reduced for sale.
I buy an auto about every 5 years. I never buy a new auto. Like to buy one a year or two old. Gets the best deals on 2000 auto that has not sold yet.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Just have to go to St. Louis dealers they have lots of auto there at a really reduced price. Like 500-2000 bucks reduced for sale.
In your dreams! Dearth of used cars here, too!

Mon

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Posted 4/8/21 5:51 PM CDST

They apparently can't make them fast enough.
millions of NYC people who fled now need a car.
others turned travel money into home repairs and new cars.
others realized they no longer wanted to fly everywhere and bought a vehicle to travel with.

look at used car and truck prices , a truck that would have brought 6K in Feb 2020 would being 8K today even a year older .

my concern is with this all eclectic by 2035 which is only 14 years away that we are going to start to look like Cuba , if you don't know about Cuba they have been able to import very very few cars since the late 50s so the streets are full of beautiful old 1950s cars that have been rebuilt and rebuilt they have an entire small industry of fabricating nearly every part for their cars because of no imports.
I don't live in Cuba , but here many country folks drive nice condition trucks and cars 25 to 50 old and have barn stored parts carcasses to keep our pre-computer age rigs in road worthy shape.

Last week a delivery truck driver at the gas station I fuel at asked me if my 1988 Blazer was for sale and offered me $10k after following me a few miles on the highway to the pump. Glad I wasn't driving my 1964 Galaxie or anyone told him of the seven part carcasses I have stored in a barn on my parents farm that i bought before the cash for clunkers craze.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In your dreams! Dearth of used cars here, too!

Mon
I see a lot of used autos on the net from St. Louis for sale at recduced prices. Called a couple today and they said come up and test drive them I think i will wait awhile and keep what i got maybe the price will go down more on used autos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts