Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a good way to carry my e-bike in my van, so it is relatively easy to load and unload. Others who carry their bikes in their camper vans say the harder it is to load and unload, the less you use it.

The bike is about 6' long, which extends it past my side door a little. The side door is a double door, so the right-hand door opens and closes with the bike not being a problem. The lefthand door might be a problem.

It doesn't show in the picture but on the left side of the van is the solar equipment and refrigerator. so the bike needs to be in the center or on the right side.

I need ideas on how I can roll the bike in and then easily fasten it in place for traveling. Space is tight so I won't have a lot of room to maneuver around and will also probably have to crawl around on my hands and knees. The handlebar is a problem because it sticks out so far and I would prefer to not have to loosen it to turn it crosswise. I also don't want to drill holes in the floor if there is any way of avoiding it.

A bike rack on the back of the van is not an option. I have thought about this over the last couple of years and have come up with a bunch of ideas that don't work or at least don't work well.

I tried strapping it to the wall, but with the handlebar sticking out, it was a real pain to strap it in and unstrap it to take it out. If straps are used, they can't be used where they might damage the spokes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would back the bike in, till the back tire comes up to the edge of your side door. then I would lean it against those slats. Then I would walk around to the side door, open it, and use bungee cords to fix the bike to the slats. I would then return to the back door, turn the handlebar and wheel assembly a little to get the bike closer to the wall, and then repeat the bungee cord procedure. turning the wheel a little should allow the back door to close.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would back the bike in, till the back tire comes up to the edge of your side door. then I would lean it against those slats. Then I would walk around to the side door, open it, and use bungee cords to fix the bike to the slats. I would then return to the back door, turn the handlebar and wheel assembly a little to get the bike closer to the wall, and then repeat the bungee cord procedure. turning the wheel a little should allow the back door to close.
I'll have to think about this some. The bike weighs about 70 lbs. I have a ramp I use to get it into the van. There is no way I could roll it in backward, but it might be possible to load it in the side door.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Build a 2"x4" base to guide the wheels into the van, and keep them from moving around. Have correct length cinch down straps hanging from your wooden van shelf (3rd one from the top), which you could wrap around your front fork, and your rear fork to keep the bike secure.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out and stared at it for a while. I noticed there was the possibility of hanging 2 straps from the ceiling. Maybe 2 straps from the ceiling and then 1 strap to hold it against the wall. With the right ratchet straps, I might be able to fasten the 2 roof straps to the bike while still standing at the rear and side doors.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you turn the handlebars so the front tire is turned? I haul my bikes on a reciever hitch rack but you said that's not an option.
Yes, in fact I just loaded it in the van, and to get it tight against the wall, that is exactly what I had to do. I will be pulling a trailer, so there is no room for a rear bike rack and it is way too heavy to put on the back of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Build a 2"x4" base to guide the wheels into the van, and keep them from moving around. Have correct length cinch down straps hanging from your wooden van shelf (3rd one from the top), which you could wrap around your front fork, and your rear fork to keep the bike secure.
Actually, this reminds me that I built a bike rack using scrap 2x6s on edge, spaced so that the front tire slides in between. It would hold the bike upright. If you had two 5' lengths, it could accommodate both wheels, and would keep the bike upright (you would need a crosspiece to keep the 2x6s from tipping). You would probably still need to tether it somehow though, to account for bouncing....

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, this reminds me that I built a bike rack using scrap 2x6s on edge, spaced so that the front tire slides in between. It would hold the bike upright. If you had two 5' lengths, it could accommodate both wheels, and would keep the bike upright (you would need a crosspiece to keep the 2x6s from tipping). You would probably still need to tether it somehow though, to account for bouncing....
That's what I have in the garage to hold the bike. The thing is it is heavy. I considered mounting it in the van, but I would have to drill holes in the floor which I am hoping to avoid.

I think skyhooks may be the answer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Y'know, I used to have a telescoping pole with a rubber pad on a universal joint at each end. It was for holding sheets of drywall against the ceiling while you used your hands to get the screws in.

I bet two of those running from floor to ceiling in the van would give you something to strap the bike too without requiring you to drill through the floor. And they are much lighter than 2x6s....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes, in fact I just loaded it in the van, and to get it tight against the wall, that is exactly what I had to do. I will be pulling a trailer, so there is no room for a rear bike rack and it is way too heavy to put on the back of the trailer.
Yep, a gal that rides with us sometimes rides an ebike and someone has to help her put it on her reciever hitch rack, it's heavy!
The ceiling straps sound like a pain to me! And I agree that if it's a pain to take down, you won't ride it!
You got quite the dilemma, I might not even go if I couldn't fit my bike! But that's me!

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, a gal that rides with us sometimes rides an ebike and someone has to help her put it on her reciever hitch rack, it's heavy!
The ceiling straps sound like a pain to me! And I agree that if it's a pain to take down, you won't ride it!
You got quite the dilemma, I might not even go if I couldn't fit my bike! But that's me!
I think with the right straps it might work. I have a strap that has a hook on each end and a connector you pull the cable through until it is tight and lock it. So the 2 cables stay hanging down from the ceiling, then one end is looped under the frame and the 2 hooks are hooked together. Same with other strap but on other end of bike. If I can find a similar strap that has a ratchet instead of just a clamp, I think I could get the 2 cables on and tight in a couple minutes tops. Then a couple more minutes to climb in and connect 1 more strap from the bike to the wall. So hopefully 5 minutes tops.

I want to protect the bike, but even more importantly I want to protect me from the bike.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Odd question, but...
Can you mount a bike rack on the FRONT of the van?
There are (or at least were) front receiver hitches available for some trucks, maybe you can put one on the van.
Around here, busses have front bike racks.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Odd question, but...
Can you mount a bike rack on the FRONT of the van?
There are (or at least were) front receiver hitches available for some trucks, maybe you can put one on the van.
Around here, busses have front bike racks.
Maybe but I don't want to. There are already enough distractions towing a trailer in heavy traffic. I also have to be concerned about theft and inside the van out of sight is a better deterrent than on a bike rack.

·
Unapologetically me
21,302 Posts
Leave the van home and just ride your bike 😁

Reactions: tripletmom

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this might work out OK. If not, I will keep trying things until I find a way that works.

All 3 straps are on the frame, not the wheels. The 3rd strap holds it tight against the wall. I was surprised it worked so well.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
You can buy stands that will turn an ordinary bike into an exercise bike and hold it upright and completely steady. And then bungie cord it to the wall

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
You could probably strap the bike to the boards that cover the window, too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts