Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at a trip to the Amazon river specifically Peru or Ecuador. However, I carry even in tame ol Kansas so foreign countries make me want to even more due to both two, four, and no-legged concerns. However, I can not find official rules on carrying a firearm in these countries. I find some second and third hand info but nothing concrete. Does anybody have anything concrete and official on the rules?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've seen some threads here and there that had some international gun laws. From comments of people that have travelled in some of the south American countries as well as general information, in general, I think you can forget about carrying like you're used to in the states. Few other countries have anywhere near the ownership freedoms we do, let alone the ability to carry. Most laws regarding possession and carry aren't oriented towards visitors. If you find out otherwise, do inform us.

Try a google search, or looking on Wikipedia for "gun laws by country".

·
Registered
726 Posts
There is no constitution outside of here. They will jail you or kill you or both. best bet is to hire some local protection that has his own firearm.
Not technically correct, most countries have a constitution, the rights they recognize are unique to here though, which I believe is what you meant.

A very few countries allow visiting foreigners to posses or carry arms for any purpose, and generally in pretty narrow reasons, like hunting or sporting events, and you'd better have your hunting license in order before trying to bring them in, or your match registration etc on hand, with a description of the required guns and ammo requirements (handguns mainly, such as for Canada). I don't know of any that allow it for self defense, though there may be some. I don't believe even the US allows visiting foreigners to carry arms for self defense, other than perhaps from wild animals in Alaska, though I'm not sure about that. That's one of the very few reasons that foreign visitors are allowed to carry arms (long guns, not handguns) in Canada. Self defense from people isn't a valid reason there, even for residents.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
I do know of a missionary who goes between Peru and Michigan he does have a carry permit for Peru , he is limited to certain revolvers I believe , and most locals are limited to shotguns , many countries take issue with the range a rifle gets you

your going to have to call the consulate of each country and inquire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts