Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can carrots be planted now? I live in NWTN. I've never had any luck growing carrots. I would really like to grow some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know about there but here in Central NC my dad and I will both grow carrots over the winter, how ever I sow them in August or sometimes early September. Now would be very late unless you were in the the deep south. You might be successful if the winter is a mild one.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I put some in the ground just a week or so ago and I plan on doing some more in another 2 or three weeks. It is warmer here though (coastal Carolina) and I cheated just a little.

I have been pre-germinating the carrots this fall and will do so from now on.

I mix a cup of water and a teaspoon of cornstarch and then slowly heat until the mixture starts to thicken. Let it cool, pour it into a pie tin and then drop seeds into the mixture. They germinate in about one week.

I then just put them in the garden at the prescribed depths and spacing and watch them sprout. I am getting about 92% of the seeds placed in the garden beds to sprout. Much better than I ever got from direct seeding and no thinning to do.

You might be a little too cool to try this fall, but who knows? It may work for you yet.

TRellis

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I planted them in my greenhouse just to see what happens. I watched a you tube video where the guy used an oil lamp to heat his greenhouse. It was a Biogreen lamp/heater. I bought a little oil lamp today to try out in my green house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts