Carrots for seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bitsy-Bet, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Bitsy-Bet

Bitsy-Bet Well-Known Member

I have a small project going that has been interesting. Was wondering if anyone else does this?
    Last year we had a grand bumper crop of carrots! We canned, dried, ate, souped, sticked and just about did all we could think of to do with them. We even gave away about a bushel. I filled the bottom drawers of the fridge with more and kept them over the winter and of course they began to grow so I stuck some back in the ground and they grew big flower heads and looks like they will produce seeds. My sister-in-law and my niece belong to a book club and just finished reading a book called "The Beet Farm" and she said in the book, this place saved half their crop to produce seeds in the same manner I am doing with the carrots. Think I might try this too----unless the deer eat all the carrot and beet tops----again!

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

since my globe radishes decided to grow huge tops, i left them go to seed. i have never tried saving any seed besides dill, so this will be fun. i am waiting for them to fully mature now.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

One problem to look out for if you save carrot seed is Queen Anne's Lace. If you have any growing nearby, it will cross-pollinate with your carrots.