Carpet?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Jun 1, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What is carpet made of? Would be be safe to use in the walkways of a mostly organic garden? Does it leach stuff? Break down well?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

There are too many kinds of carpet to give a simple answer, I'm afraid. You can find wool carpet but these days lots of it is made from recycled pop bottles and other plastics. Don't really know about leaching. Seems like mostly just the cleaning stuff and whatever was spilled on the carpet would leach. Most carpet is pretty colorfast. And it doesn't break down. I would not hesitate to use it on a garden path, myself. OTOH, if you ever need to pull it up you might have a hard go of it.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I've read that some of the modern synthetic blends will outgas formaldahyde, but wonder if that problem would be huge if it was outside? I was warned about outgassing when I bought my doublewide, because of the materials that they use, synthetic carpet, pressed board flooring, paneling, etc. We haven't had problems, but we leave windows open most of the time?

I also read in MEN, what an awesome mulch carpet is and how long it lasts. This guy got his hands on some wool carpeting, so that is fairly organic, right?

hollym

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My friend uses carpet, but her garden isn't organic. Carpet has some nasty chemicals, but they dissapate over time, old carpet might be OK.
    Holly, I got a modular house, I had the windows open the first 3 months, but I still was sick for 2 years after. I had to go out to get relief from the headaches.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Yikes Sullen, sorry to hear that. I think one thing that really saved us was that mine was actually a repo, and was 18 months old when I bought it, more like 20-21 months when we finally got all the permits and septic and all together and had it moved. I have sure heard some horror stories about people having problems with them though.

hollym

6. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I used carpet once and it turned into a bug-attracting nightmare and never broke down--it was the type used for a college dorm, so it was super-duper industrial stuff.

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

It's that time of month where folks can leave their large garbage out for pick-up.....thus the question.....I see lots of old carpets being tossed. I'm guessing the fumes would be gone by the time someone chucks their carpet....just wondered if the carpet would end up like plastic confetti after a few years or if the materials broke down and got into the ground water....we have a shallow well, and I wouldn't care to drink carpet! I do use plastic mulch in the garden, but that gets picked up and thrown out when it starts wearing out.