carpet and cardboard mulch

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, May 24, 2004.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i live next to a store that has unlimited boxes, on the other side is a
    carpet layer. he gave me a pickup load of new carpet, rolled up.
    so on the top of my beds i lay the cardboard boxes, cut around the
    plants. on the sids of my beds, i overlay the carpet to hold down
    the cardboard, and to mulch the walking rows. it only took about
    a half an hour to do a row. the carpet is smelly as its been in
    the shed. the cool thing about the carpet is it rolls up nice. if you
    turn it good side down, the carpet gets wet and hold the moisture and holds it
    down better. the carboard gets hot and its really cooking the weeds. i
    probably have 100 yards of carpet left to use. its great to use around tomatoes.

randy

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Carpet is great for walkways and between rows. Allows a gardener access to the garden during wet weather and no fear of muddy feet. When I first heard of it perhaps 10 years ago, I thought that that was the cat's meow for the best idea ever. Collected every bit of carpet trimmings that I could find and used them. Next year, into the landfill. Earwigs and slugs multiplied faster than a calculator could keep up and they did so under the carpet strips. It's a great idea if you don't have those two pests. But if you have those pests around, you are only inviting more problems.

Martin

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

tRIED THE CARPET THING A FEW YEARS AGO. It was really great! As you say, it kept me dry and comfy while I tended and harvested and stuff. However--and there is a however--at the end of the season when I tried to roll it up to store it, I found that the backing had disintegrated, leaving miles and miles of long nylon strings and miles and miles of short nylon strings. And weeds were beginning to come up in the carpet. It took about four-five years to dig out all that stuff, and in the meantime, a tiller couldn't be used. The nylon does not biodegrade. Am STILL finding short lengths of the stuff. Am curious as to how the use of this stuff as a wonder-aid ever got spread.

On the other hand, I love cardboard and newspaper. I found that a 10 year collection of thick professional magazines made a great weed killer in a to-be-flower bed, and biodegraded in a year. It needs to be covered with straw or chips or something to keep from blowing all over the place.

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We have used carpet in the garden for years. If you put it down early it also warms the soil up faster. We have the best tomatoes as no weeds just little squares cut where we want to put a plant, between strawberry rows, between blueberry bushes, squash, everything! We have found that the no pile carpet last longest, @5 years, the garden looks so nice and neat and walking to harvest is wonderful...no dirt on you or produce. Also holds in the moisture LOTS less worry about watering, a win-win situation!!!!!!!!!!Joan :haha:

5. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Joan--youv'e used the same carpet for 5 years? How in the world do you keep it from falling apart and filling the soil with nylon shreds????? Mine didn't last one season.