Carnation Evaporated milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thegriffiths, Dec 14, 2005.

1. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

Another question about old stored foods.

My grandparents left about 65 cans of Carnation Evaporated Milk (Vitamin D Added) in their pantry. Most of them have a "Best before" date on them of 2003.

Of course my question is: Are these cans all worthless now due to spoiling or should they be ok since its a "BEST" by date? Just dont want to cause any sickness in my family.

Thanks again,

Matthew Griffith

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Canned goods will go bad. I'd feed it to the pigs...the four-legged kind!

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Canned goods will NOT go bad quickly unless the can is damaged. It may taste a little flat or odd, but then Carnation Evaporated Milk always does anyway. It should be good for any use where the evaporated taste doesn't matter - like cooking or use on cereal with sugar added. Just open the whole can up, sniff the contents, then if it smells okay inspect the inside of the can - if the surface is still intact then 2½-3 year past-date milk will be safe.

Of course, if you're going to use milk for animals anyway, or you can use it to economise by stretching other animal foods...

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...I didn't say they would go bad quickly. I agree that a sniff and see test should be done. Maybe even a taste test. But I do know that canned milk will go bad after two years...I've had it happen and the can wasn't damaged. The milk just got old...turned an odd yellow color and smelled awful.

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

And you'll find it 'settles' badly in the bottom of the can.

While we routinely used cans goods of several years old, canned milk isn't one of them.

We go thru a can or two a week, and never have more than 12-15 cans in stock due to that 'clumping'......My guess is the cans you have will be pretty ugly lookig inside......might not be 'unsafe', but you probably won't like the looks of it.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Pig or chicken food. Not all at once, but added to the daily ration gradually.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It will look bad if it is bad....instead of whitish tan color it will be dark and thin....but all is not lost!!!
    Feed it to chickens (mine got a bunc the other day) or pigs or the dog.

8. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

If the cans has been in a dark-cool place. They should be fine. Make sure you shake each one before using. I have use some cans that were way out of date. Found a few that was bad. Most was fine!!

9. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is bad and you don't have chickens, dogs etc. to feed it to, use it in your tomato planting holes (if you have a garden). It will add the calcium to prevent blossom-end rot and other nutrients. I hate to waste anything! I do this with powdered milk that goes bad. Rita in TN

10. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I will pop one open and see. If they arent good enough for us I will save them until the new chickens arrive in the spring.

Thanks much!