Carla Emery in IL (June, 2005)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MullersLaneFarm, Apr 12, 2005.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Muller's Lane Farm will be hosting Carla Emery (author of the "Encyclopedia of Country Living") Thursday, June 23, 2005. She will be speaking about the history of the Modern Homesteading Movement and how to grow the greatest garden in your life.

We will have a potluck lunch at noon (open to all that read this message) and Carla will be speaking around 2:00 (open to the general public).

We will be asking for a freewill donation to help cover the expense of Carla being here. She will have freebies for all that attend (about 40 catalogs in the livestock and garden area) for guests, and a traveling bookstore with about 140 titles on cooking, food preserving, care of livestock, gardening, renewable energy, and green building!

We ask that you RSVP if you plan on coming to the potluck, show up early if you can. If it's nice, the talks will be outside, bring a lawnchair.

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow Carla's going to be busy that week. Wonder how far you are from Dawndra's Homesteading weekend also in Il? Anyone going to both. Looks like on mapquest they are about 2 hours apart.

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I'll be at both!

That's my vacation for the year.

Paul won't be going to Dawndra's, maybe I can talk him into going for a day, but he has to be back for milking the cows.

4. Sparticle

Yeah I was looking at these as my vacation for the year too but the universe seems to be working against me today. First I received my work schedule for our next software release and the release date is June 24th and the last week before a software release is a black out period for vacation unless you can proove that all your work is done (which is impossible to know because sometimes the programmers don't give you changes until the last minute). I can work late all day everyday, but they don't give me the code till the last minute and I can only kill so many of them before they'll start to notice.

THEN, my brakes started acting funny and I knew they had been under water a lot more than they should have so I took them in to get fixed today. The first quote was over $500. After I came-to with mechanics standing over me and fanning me back from fainting on the floor (I exagerate), we got it down to around $400 and that's with them not doing the rear brakes which need to be done. So, there goes all my money.

So unless some miracle happens, I can't go to either. But if I'm meant to go, it'll happen. Right?

5. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, you might want to check with your local high school, either they, or a neighboring high school should offer an automotive class for all ofthose young motor-heads out there.

After 235,xxx miles my GMC pick up truck blew the water pump, so instead of dealing with just that, I put in a NEW engine. A used engine with 80,000 miles on it was only a few hundred less. With my son's class doing the work, my labor saved was $1,385 ....! Of course it took them a bit to do the work, but maybe the teacher will know of someone who can do your brakes in a weekend....

just an idea,.....

I was going to PM you, but your box is full........

6. Sparticle

Thanks for telling me, it didn't dawn on me to check the limits. They were all old messages