Carhart work coats

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Dec 17, 2004.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Been wanting to get a basic Carhart work coat for use around the house and shop during the fall and winter months. Wanted one in basic black so it won't show the dirt as much as the brown ones do. I don't need arctic type warmth, but I do need something heavier then your typical light weight casual jacket.

Stopped by the local store that carries a good stock of Carhart clothing. I was immediately overwhelmed by the number of styles and colors. Hooded, non-hooded, arctic, button down, 7 different cuff styles etc. Apparently this Carhart stuff has become quite the fashion deal these days. Even people who don't actually work wear Carhart work coats.:)

Anybody else use the Carhart stuff, in particular the jackets? Are there some generic equivalents that may be almost the same quality but less costly?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

My chore coat is 9 and still going strong. Blanket lining is good from 60 - 40 above with shirt sleeves underneath. Colder than that - a few more layers.

A fleece lined Carhartt vest then comes into the picture. With those two garments - I'm good to go.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................About 4 years back I was in the tractor supply here and they had a red carhart work coat on sale for like 39 and it had been priced at 79 . So , I tried it on and it fit really good especially in the arm length. I can't stand a coat with Short arms or a coat that is Too short length wise. Well , I decided that red was my color cause I've always admired girls IN Tight wranglers and Red lipstick . Well , another year rolls around and darn , as I walk thru TSC there is Another Carhart ...Red...workcoat on sale for 39 and so....I tried it on and Damn , it fit just as good as the previous one . Yep! , now I've got 2 red , Carhart work coats so I'm staying out of TSC in march when those work coats go on Sale , ..fordy... :eek: :)

4. Montana_Joe

Montana_Joe Member

Funny that you mention this. I just bought my first Carhartt coat a few weeks ago. I bought the #J131 Active Jacket (Thermal Lining) in black here. It is a great coat, good down to about 25 degrees or so while I'm doing chores outside. This is a great price for them too. Now I'm looking for a good arctic parka for the really cold stuff in Jan/Feb. Around here all you see is Carhartt tan. It's not fashionable, it's a necessity.

Joe

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought myself a pair of lined bib-overalls a couple years ago, and a hooded jacket this fall. This outfit keeps me warm no matter how cold/windy it is. Money well spent, in my opinion. It's kinda bulky, though.

6. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    I am the poster boy for carhart stuff,that's all I wear year round.In the summer its Carhart shorts and Tee shirts and then into Fall and winter is the Carhart bibs and jackets..................except for the occasional John Deere shirts........................... :) :) :) :) :)

7. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Go with the the Carhartt. You won't be disappointed in the quality or durability.To purchase them on the cheap go to www.sierratradingpost.com They always have them for sale on their website or in their catalog. Beware that sometimes they're "2 nds" but you would never know the difference and for the low low price you can't go wrong.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Carhart is good but as someone observed they are known for their label as much as their quality. Key and Walls are also good brands but they might talk behind your back at Starbucks if you don't have Carhart. I have a black Carhart jacket that I've had for a few years now and it's definetly a good quality jacket. My company's uniform jackets are now Carhart and it's a decent jacket too.

9. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

Kevin and I both have Carhart insulated overalls and coats, his coat is hoodless and doesn't have a knit bottom band, my is hooded and has the knitted bottom band. We worked outside in ours in January and February, here in MO. THere's not many things better to withstand cold. They are an investment that definately pays off.

Laura

10. UncleTom

UncleTom Well-Known Member

I have 3 carhart coats,bibs,sweatshirts, and t-shirts. I dont wear anything else. There isnt anything i dont like. They are warm,tough and long lasting. One carhart hooded coat is for everyday work and the other 2 coats are for good. The t's are alittle thicker than any other t made. They are the best. My son wears the pants for work and hard play.

11. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

regarding carhartt coats, i work in a department store that sells carhartt's. sounds to me like you need a chore coat style# C02 that's a mid weight blanket lined coat, button up the front. the difference between coat and jacket is coats are hip length, jackets are waist length. another midweight is a santa fe style #J14 zip front, elastic waist band, any questions just ask, i'll answer what i can. tonasket

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I had a blanket-lined Carhartt coat that my dad gave me when I was preggers (about a size 48, I think) I liked it really well but DH lost it :waa:

DH destroys clothing so we always get Walls or Key or Liberty or Schmidt brands.

I had quite a collection of Carhartts from my dad when I was preggers. (Bibs, fleece vest and barn coat ... for milking cows in the winter while PG) But we loaned a set of coveralls to my DB and lo and behold, the clothes were so old and he was so stout but determined to wedge himself into those coveralls that they split right down the middle in the seat. I didn't think you could do that to those clothes!

Black or dark blue will show dirt more than brown in my opinion. Unless it's grease, oil or fuel

Good luck -- hope Santa brings you the coat you want!

ann

13. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Coat length button front blanket lined has worked well for me. Get it big enough to put a vest or sweatshirt under. For really cold you can't beat my old Walls snowsuit it keeps all the drafts out.

Eric

14. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

I've got one coat that I've had for about a year, Dark brown with the snaps for the hood. I have it on good authority ( I already bought it and its hanging in my DW's closet ) that Santa is bringing me a green jacket with a hood for those not so cold days. I think they are great quality and if you can find it on sale an even better buy. I also think it is getting to be a status symbol as our local Dicks sporting goods is carrying a ton of it.

15. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

We use them. Good quality and can deal with rugged country living. The off brands are not even as good. I found the off brands to fall apart quicker after many washings and the batting inside has a tendancy to bunch.
    We buy allot fo them from The Sportsmans Guide catalogs. It is a better buy than the local stores. www.sportsmansguide.com

Kathy

16. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Our boss buys my hubby two jackets and a set of insulated coveralls for Christmas each year---- what a guy!! We have been here for 5 Christmas' and still have most of the coveralls and jackets. One jacket got hung up on a fence in the back forty and stayed there all spring,summer and fall. It was already 3 years old and did not survive the mice......
    Each year, we pass them down the line. I get the seconds and I alter them the best as I can for the kids going down the line. My oldest son is now large enough not to need it. I broke down and bought my daughter a pair of coveralls and they are on their third year, second child as she has moved up to closer to our size. I have had to embroider our names on the jackets to reduce the fist fights at the coat rack since they are all tan......
    They are the best for windy Kansas winters.
    Tana Mc

17. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

I got one for my now 19 year old son last year. I wanted him to stay warm becasue he didnt have a car yet and he walked everywhere. All of his friends think they are "cool" now. I think they are becoming some kind of fashon trend to teenagers. Now he is afraid to leave it put down anywhere because he is worried someone will try to steal it.

Sumer

18. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Wayne,

I know it is not a coat... but Fred Meyers has Carhartt T Shirts on sale right now for 11.99. I went in and cleaned up lol.

GA

19. cast iron

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful community you have here.

I do metal fabrication and work on my race car quite a bit in the shop, as well as work around the property of course. That's why I was leaning towards the dark colors.

I like a coat that is short enough that you don't sit on it when sitting down, yet long enough that it doesn't pull up much when doing over- head work.

I like a coat that has the angled front pockets vs the straight up and down vertical opening pockets. I don't necessarily need a coat that has a bunch of pockets on the outside, but they don't really bother me. I prefer to have at least one inside pocket.

I prefer a zippered closure and I don't like coats that have a banded elastic waist.

I prefer non hooded 80% of the time, but the optional snap on hood would probably be a good option.

I'm a bit concerned about getting a coat that will be too hot. I'm in western WA, and it really does not get that cold here compared where many of you all live.

Picky SOB aren't I? :) Now to try and find the model that matches these desires as closely as possible...

Wayne

20. cast iron

Thanks GA, I'll check it out. They don't happen to be pocket T's do they?

Wayne