·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I saw this on HGTV, on "Small Space Big Style"
(http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_small_space/article/0,1793,HGTV_3382_4864905_06,00.html)

For most applications, I would expect it would be easier, cheaper, and less restrictive to build a small cabin. You wouldn't be confined to an 8' wide container.

However, if you can do the work yourself, the cost would be more reasonable than the prices they're charging for a complete one. And shipping containers are very sturdy and secure, so that could be a real advantage in some areas.

But I love these outside-the-box examples, as it really makes you think about all the different ways to solve a problem.

--sgl

·
Registered
581 Posts
There is a company here in town that made hundreds of containers with windows, regular size doors, some had stairs inside leading to one on top and some had rails on top like a lookout post. We had no idea what they were making them for until they painted them all in desert camo. Guess they were going to Iraq.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm glad to know that only the corners are structural. I have one that cost me around $1900, delivered to my remote site, and I'm getting ready to install screened, louvered vents to get some airflow through it. I like that they're practically impossible to break into.

When I'm done fixing the house, I won't need it for storage, and I'll be converting it into a workshop and off-grid power center (battery box, generator, controls in separate ventilated compartments). I can easily see converting one to a cabin, but for a LOT less than the $45k they spent.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
i hadnt thought about living in one but might make a decent bug out shelter or a weekend place that you could button up tight when you go home. i was sizing them up as storage units for on the homestead, when all the other stuff is taken care of.

dean

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Bob Villa television home improvement show did an episode on using them.

By the time they got done cutting away portions of some and sidewalls in others, stacking units, and welding several together, etc. I really couldn't see the point. They made full sized homes out of them two or three stories high.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
From experience, they are NOT impossible to break into. All one needs is a sledge hammer to break the bolt that sits just above the top piece that holds a lock. Or if it's a cheap lock, pop the lock.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wolf mom said:
From experience, they are NOT impossible to break into. All one needs is a sledge hammer to break the bolt that sits just above the top piece that holds a lock. Or if it's a cheap lock, pop the lock.
I agree, nothing is impossible to break into. Like my Dad used to say, I put padlocks on things to keep honest people honest. A thief will get in any way. Isn't much you can't break into with one of these small cutting torches.

On the storage boxes. In our country you will die from heat unless you do drastic mods to them. I have been in them where some dealers were keeping merchandise stored. Super HOT!!!

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts