Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
................Caretaking is a goal I'm wanting too pursue ! I feel I have more than adequate skills in basic maintenance , fencing , and running a tractor. But , although I've worked around horses and am very comfortable in their presence I feel I still need more knowledge in their care and diagnosis of basic problems . Since most absent property owners will probably have one , or all three , dogs , goats and horses was wondering what subject area's should I focus upon in this effort ? , thanks , fordy

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
many junior colleges have equine science courses.
Look in feed stores for information on classes on different farm animals. Some have tapes for rent.
Read * read * read * google * google * google
get a mentor

Maybe an alternative would be working on a farm with these animals to get first hand knowledge before working for absentee owners. I sure would want refrences and know that the person I'd hire had worked with animals before I'd hire them.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I think you should spend two weeks with each of us, and that way you could get all kinds of exposure to different critters and situations, and lots of references!

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HilltopDaisy said:
I think you should spend two weeks with each of us, and that way you could get all kinds of exposure to different critters and situations, and lots of references!

.............Were you close by It'd be happy to help ! But my guess , is , LOL , You're like 2,000 miles 'Nawth' of the Red River . See , at 3 per gallon I have quit just Cruzin around . , fordy

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
HilltopDaisy said:
I like that idea – when can I book my two weeks?

Lynne – has two months of work, easy :help:

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Fordy, there is an outfit called www.caretaker.org, that places people in short and long caretaking situations. I think it's $29 for 6 months to join. (Anyway, I almost got a very long term position from it!) Anyway, again! people seem to advertise for help with horses or with cattle. Haven't seen much mixed stock since I joined. All the best! ldc

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ldc said:
Fordy, there is an outfit called www.caretaker.org, that places people in short and long caretaking situations. I think it's $29 for 6 months to join. (Anyway, I almost got a very long term position from it!) Anyway, again! people seem to advertise for help with horses or with cattle. Haven't seen much mixed stock since I joined. All the best! ldc
...................I joined caretaker back in Jan and Workcamper in May . Workcamper , is by far the better of the two and has aLOT more workcamper listings than caretaker . I won't renew my membership with caretaker . It just takes a while for these situations to materialize .
...................I'm working part time for the animal control\dog pound so I'm going to get a lot hands on with horses , dogs and goats . So , we'll see how this all works out . The main thing is I'll be getting experience and knowledge which will really help prepare me for what I'd like to be doing this time next year . Gives me something to look forward too. , fordy

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
the web is great for learning, but you might be able to volunteer your services to a local vet. Go along with him to hold animals. learn about treatments, etc. I used to be "the vet helper" at the horse farm I grew up at, and I learned more that way than any book learning I could have had.

Take some time to learn about poultry, too. and sheep. Chickens aren't hard, but seems turkeys can be a bit challenging to take care of sometimes.

Sheep wake up looking for a way to die, but they're on a lot of farms. I've found in our area (wisconsin) there are a lot of small farms that have fiber sheep, llamas maybe, goats, and chickens. These folk tend to have day jobs to support the farm life. They are the people who will go on a real vacation for a couple of weeks and need someone to look after the critters. It's hard to find someone knowledgable.

anyway...you might try looking at the horse farms in the area. stables. When the crew goes off to a horseshow for a weekend or longer, they need someone to take care of the place. (I used to be the one elected to stay home and work....ticked me off no end.) Since horse shows are planned months in advance, you'd know what weekends were booked.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Willing to live in rural western NY?

This was in my Penny Saver yesterday.

Caretaker/Maintenance
Position Available
Conservation club with large pond
located in Byron
Has a caretaker and maintenance postion
available for husband&wife team.
Compensation will include salary, home & utilities
send resume' and inquiries to:

P.O. Box 217
Batavia, NY 14021

I just happen to be a member of a sportsmans club that has the same P.O. Box. Though I didn't know they were looking for a caretaker again. Here's thier webpage.

http://www.godfreyspond.org/

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I know you said you are looking at caretaker things, but have you considered working at national parks? They're always looking for people to do seasonal stuff. From camp ground host (you usually just get a campsite with full hookup and stipend) to trail crew to horse wrangler at some parks.

Most spots are from 2 weeks to all season. And there are parks that need help all year round. so...work in Glacier or Yellowstone in the hot summer, work in Rio Grande in the winter :) or Everglades. or....

State parks do the same.

If you're interested, check out: http://www.nps.gov/gettinginvolved/index.htm

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woodsrunner said:
Willing to live in rural western NY?

This was in my Penny Saver yesterday.

Caretaker/Maintenance
Position Available
Conservation club with large pond
located in Byron
Has a caretaker and maintenance postion
available for husband&wife team.
Compensation will include salary, home & utilities
send resume' and inquiries to:

P.O. Box 217
Batavia, NY 14021

I just happen to be a member of a sportsmans club that has the same P.O. Box. Though I didn't know they were looking for a caretaker again. Here's thier webpage.

http://www.godfreyspond.org/
..................Thank You , that sounds very interesting . I'd have to find a significant other , first , LOL. The pics I've seen of NY are absolutely breath taking . And , from what I understand it isn't cheap too live there , although the property taxes in Texas are kinda going crazy as well . , fordy

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wisconsin Ann said:
I know you said you are looking at caretaker things, but have you considered working at national parks? They're always looking for people to do seasonal stuff. From camp ground host (you usually just get a campsite with full hookup and stipend) to trail crew to horse wrangler at some parks.

Most spots are from 2 weeks to all season. And there are parks that need help all year round. so...work in Glacier or Yellowstone in the hot summer, work in Rio Grande in the winter :) or Everglades. or....

State parks do the same.

If you're interested, check out: http://www.nps.gov/gettinginvolved/index.htm
..............I've looked into state and federal parks , some . The problem is that a workcamper can do lots of research about a job that is say , 2k miles away , you email back and forth , discuss all aspects of the job , the employer provides written , explicit descriptions of work responsibilities , so you accept , you travel and incurr 4 or 500 hundred in travel exp's and things just don't turnout to be as described . So , I need to work some atleast until my SS starts in Jan-2010 . Workcamping is a possibility but I'd rather pursue this other course for a while . thanks Ann , fordy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts