caretaker position

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ajoys, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

I saw this on a classified board and thought I would pass it on.

I am in no way endorsing this, I am not affliated with it in any way.

Looking for mature, relaible, self-motivated person to watch over guest ranch. 500 acre property, homes, barns and horses need care. Also take guests riding. Horse experience a must (foaling, training babies, riding.) Excellent people/communication skills necessary. Must live on property, three bedroom home provided. Utilities (except phone) included. This is a beautiful, unique property that just needs someone to look after it.
    Send resume and references to: P.O. Box 312, Lake George, CO 80827

Job location is Lake George

Compensation: Start at $1,500 plus house, utilities

2. This can disqualify just about anybody.

homes, barns and horses need care. Also take guests riding. Horse experience a must (foaling, training babies, riding.) Excellent people/communication skills necessary

In other words, we want superman, superwoman and all their offspring.

$1500 a month SALARY is not at all a fair deal for this kind of work, and I mean LOTS OF WORK. Sounds like they want a working family to run a riding stable - long hours, hard work, little pay. The free housing and utilities will probably sucker somebody.

Some starry eyed, energetic, horse crazy, 20 something year old will probably fall for it, and burn out.

3. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

They're looking for a "person"? Sounds like they need three shifts to me.

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Ooohhhhhh!! You GUYS!!! :no: Maybe it's not all that bad, or large.. OR maybe they're staying there too!! Geesh! :confused:

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Uh, 1500 a month PLUS free housing and utilities? That sounds like one good job to me, even if they do expect some work, jeesh.

Try making 1500 a month and paying rent/mortgage, heat, lights, etc. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think, all you would have to do is sit in the house for that much money and free housing?

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Minus taxes and do they count the home as income??? The IRS will!!! How about working for free!!!

Too Good To Be True Usually IS!!!

mikell

7. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

$1500 a month is not bad at all when you get free housing and utilities. So what if you have to work some? If I knew horses, I would go for it!

8. This sounds somewhat like the movie "The Shining".
    Heeerreeessss Johnny

9. Read over the ad again.

500 acre property, homes, barns and horses need care. Also take guests riding. Horse experience a must (foaling, training babies, riding.) Excellent people/communication skills necessary

...all you would have to do is sit in the house? Not by a long shot!

Care of 500 acres (ie. fencing) is more than an afternoon of work. We're not talking about keeping a house clean, and they're looking for 'Horse experience a MUST' - means it's a REAL operation, not a backyard deal. Schooling horses (breaking - as the thugs put it), and daily training/riding takes patience, commitment and loads of experience.

It sounds like either someone with some $$, maybe older and TIRED of DOING ALL THAT WORK, and looking for a REAL stable manager/trainer (and offering 1/3 of the going rate).

or, it could be another one of those deals that entices those 20 something, starry eyed, horse crazy kids into throwing caution to the wind and getting mixed up in a life altering experience.

Most professional places won't advertise for help outside of their horse circles, they apprentice and raise their own help. It's the wanna-be places with no clue, that offer these deals with unlimited work commitments. No health insurance, no vacation, you're new life is 100% on the farm and your 'free time' is spent eating & sleeping.

Maybe they don't want to pay for certified or credentialed help - that ought to make one pause and consider what's really involved. It could be they just want LABOR, and the 'carrot' is implying you'll get to ride now and then.

10. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I checked into guest ranches around lake george CO, and found out that the one operating ranch online is at 8600 feet elevation, now when i was in CO a few years back I was at about 7000 feet and found it took me about 3 times as long to get anything done. It felt hotter, the humidity was different than i was used to as well, the cacti were vicious [ i still bear a scar where a prickly pear attacked me thru my boot on my ankle].

but wheni got back to Idaho, the elevation i was hunting at seemed really easy to navigate.... 2 feet of snow was no problem to wade thru either.

As far as $1500/mo most likely it is negotiable, as to experience, and ability as any other ranch caretaker job is. Im not sure what housing goes for there, but a 100+/- miles north it is outrageous compared to the cultural hub of the universe.

Anyhow it is a job, like any other, the peson who takes it was looking for a job when they got it andwill find another if it does not suit....

William

11. I've seen much better ranch caretaker jobs in The Caretaker Gazette, so if you're looking for positions like this, you should go to www.caretaker.org

12. Did anyone take this caretaker position:

Looking for mature, relaible, self-motivated person to watch over guest ranch. 500 acre property, homes, barns and horses need care. Also take guests riding. Horse experience a must (foaling, training babies, riding.) Excellent people/communication skills necessary. Must live on property, three bedroom home provided. Utilities (except phone) included. This is a beautiful, unique property that just needs someone to look after it.
    Send resume and references to: P.O. Box 312, Lake George, CO 80827

13. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

They need you more than you need them. This is not good money for this job. These people want a lot for very little. This is a farm manager position and it does'nt come at this price.People should not own land they can't afford to take care of.At the rate they're going they won't have it long and maybe the next guy will pay better.

14. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

They are paying 1500 a month plus housing and utilities. A 3bd house rents for around 1500 a month, utilities are probably the same as anywhere else. So 3,000 plus a month is not enough.

What would be a fair price?

15. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

1,500 a month, add 1,000 a month for rent and utilities, and they're offering 2,500 a month or 28g a year.

Whether or not it's a good job depends on how much work they want out of you.

I'm betting that's at least a 60 to 80 hour a week job, maybe over a hundred and they expect to get a whole family of workers.