Care to give me an opinion?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Take a look at the goat in the middle, mostly brown. Her name is Clarabelle and she came supposedly ready to kid. She hadn't been fed for weeks and was stick thin. I had a pg test done and it came back negative. BUT look at her now! Her udder is growing (2X the size it was), she is growing and acting pg.

Here's the photo...

[​IMG]

What's your opinion? How do I tell??

2. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I don't know if this holds true with goats, but in horses, there is a window of opportunity for PG tests (when the hormone that it's looking for is peaking). After that window, you can get a false negative.

Just from the pic, I'd say TWINS!!!

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

check her ligs. but if the bag all of a sudden like that and she starts the pawing like shes making a nest, or you should notice her staring blankly at nothing. I hope you have the kid care kit ready. She's ready.

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

She looks preg, but I had a goat that was larger than that, that only gave me one. I have never been able to predict twins yet,, or triplets, which I got from one doe this spring that did not look that big. My friend got one from a goat that I was sure was not preg from the looks of her.

5. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

She sure looks pregnant to me. What is the accuracy of preganancy test on goats anyway?

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If she hadn't been properly fed until you got her, the kids probably hadn't grown as much as they should have, and now are making up for lost time, which is why she's getting bigger all of a sudden. Have you checked the ligaments at the tail head?

Kathleen

7. Cheryl in SD

I just checked her ligaments. They are still there, I will be checking every morning. She is a purebred nubian and I am REALLY hoping for at least twins! If she has a buckling, I will be able to trade him to the neighbor for breeding services! But another nubian doe would be really nice too!

8. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I would be shocked if she weren't pregnant. Looks like more than one...or one really big fellow.

Look for the signs...pawing at the ground, soft talking and "I want to be alone". I'd have the birthing kit ready.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

From the photo, she looks bred to me....I would get ready and watch her...do you have a due date?

10. Cheryl in SD

No clue on the due date. The guy I bought her from said the first of May, he thought. But then she was just in with the buck, and none of them were being fed or cared for, so it is hard to tell. The man had a heart attack and the people he had taking care of things didn't bother to feed the goats!

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Well, I am assuming that you have had goats kid before and know what to look for, she looks like kids are on the way...I am so glad she lives with you!

12. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Yup, looks pregnant and she certainly doesn't look stick-thin now! :goodjob: