carder

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Here's a picture of our powered carder. We have a Fricke table top too.
    [​IMG]

I posted some pictures of my wife's felting earlier but I'm, not sure the links would work any more (Photo Island is a pain) I'll check tomorrow. She makes hats slippers, mitts, and needle felted critters. Felted horse bankelt would be a bread and butter kind of work. Cheap wool made expensive.

2. Ross

Rats, this is supposed to be in teh Felt thread, but I messed up and am too tired to merge it. Sorry about that

3. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Ross,
    What make is your carder and where did you purchase it? I had a small drum card that we lost in the fire and am now looking to replace it with a larger one.
    Polly

4. Ross

I got it used locally but it is a Patrick Greene carder. You can see the PG picker in the right of the picture. I have a better picture of that somewhere. Patrick Greene doesn't have a web site I'm aware of but still makes them to order. It's Paula Simmons and her husbands business. I know of two other makers of similar equipment, Mini Mills in PEI and McDermott, in Mich. I'll post links to those when i have more time. (Its get the girl to school time ummmm 5 minutes ago!)

5. Ross

[​IMG]

This is our powere picker. I had these posted before but for some reason you can't link to Countryside anymore so they don't show unless I use Photo Island.

Another shot of the Carder showing the drum for batts.
    [​IMG]

The spool on the two arms is for rovings, there's an attachment that puts a twist to the wool as it comes off the last drum and it then feeds up to that roller and into a catch bag.

Here's the link to McDermott McDermott Textile machines
    and for Mini Mills Mini Mills link

6. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Ross,
    I've been in contact with MiniMills in PEI. I'll also look into the other link you've listed. You're not that far away, maybe we could arrange a visit some time? There is a place down in NC that I've been talking to as well.
    Polly

7. Ross

Sure Ann and I would love to meet, you. You know spring might be a better time, there will be more to see, and if you bring along some wool we can play with the carder etc. Hopefully we'll be a little more experienced by then too!