Four family members in Washington state were found dead. They had no power and were running a generator in the garage. We just replaced the batteries in our CO detector. CO scares me more than smoke. With smoke, I might wake up in time to get the family out of the house. With CO, you just snooze on. I know that folks do things they shouldn't with gas-powered equipment and charcoal heaters. That should be avoided. But there are times that I worry that I might be just one defective flue away from the big slumber.