Carb :

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dogo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I found an old carb for the mantis, I put the carb kit in it . But for some reason the priming bulb will not pull fuel into the bulb. What have I did wrong ?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I read this on the internet as I was curious as to how the primer bulb actually works. This sounds credible

"NO FUEL goes thru that tiny primer hose. What happens is that when you activate the primer, it pushes air into the fuel chamber in the carb & pressurizes it. Then, with the fuel under "pressure", it escapes thru the main well tube to PRIME the carb throat with available fuel for the engine to burn immediately.

As long as there is SOME fuel in the tank, the primer SHOULD work. If not, the hose could be loose, disconnected or broken, the atmospheric vent in the carb might be clogged, the primer bulb may have a hole in it (not to be confused with the hole in the center on some primers), or the carb's internals are clogged up."

3. dodgetkboy78

dodgetkboy78 Active Member

Other primers work just like the outboard squeezy thinghy............

Mine on my weed wacker, (husky) fills up with gas, it has a check valve on the tank side.
    Check your fuel lines, and, give it a squirt of fuel to prime it, and get it to fire.
    Also, is there a possibility that you put the carb together wrong, or something is loose? The carb works as the check valve on the other end of the primer, by not letting you suck gas/air back from the carb.

(the top diaphram that has the one way valves in it.)