Carb issues...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Traci Ann, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

We have an 85 Jeep CJ-7. It is a 6 cylinder. We are have a HUGE issue with it flooding out. Everything I have read and everyone I have spoke to says it should have a 2 barrel carb. Ours has a 1 barrel. Could this be WHY we are having SO many issues?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It probably just needs cleaning. The floats and needle valves can get gummed up and wont move right so they let too much gas in

3. Traci Ann

New rebuilt carb. Flood ALL the time. You can be driving down the hwy at 55 and you will just die! I am so frustrated I call it a BEEP vs. a JEEP!

We JUST cleaned it last weekend and now it seems worse (sigh)

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Yep, if the float is out of adjustment, she will flood and die on ya....

Does it loose power? does it run rough and such before it dies????black smoke out the tailpipe?

It could be an ignition problem too......need more info to help you diagnose the problem........

5. Traci Ann

Does it loose power? Usually

does it run rough and such before it dies????OH YES!!

black smoke out the tailpipe? Mhhhuummm!

Can you tell I just am really frustrated here?

Thank you for helping!

6. Traci Ann

We did learn that this is operated by a computer.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

If it is a computer controlled "carburator" it is actually a fuel injected vehicle....... So, we have to look at a few things!!!!!!!!! I am not a mechanic, but I will say this.....If it is all computor controlled, and it is running rich.......I would say that you have a bad sensor. Most likely an O2 sensor....seen it many times.... it s the sensor in your exhaust manifold...... that is my first guess... they ae not cheap, but are required to allow the computer to feed the right fuel mixture to the engine...hat is my thought on it.....

8. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

WHAT!?!?!?! :shrug:

For one thing, just because a computer has its hands in a carb does not make it fuel injected. Second it's an 1985!! Just a few years before fuel injection.

Traci,
    I will second or third the fact that it came with a 2bbl carb when it was new. It is very unlikely that going from a 2bbl to a 1bbl alone will cause a flooding problem. Now if you went from a 1bbl to a 4bbl that might cause problems. We are really going to need a little more info to help out.

1. Has this been going on from the first day you drove the Jeep or is it something that sort of just happened?
    2. If indeed you are getting that much fuel dumped you should see a black type of smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

There is a list of things that could cause a carb to flood out. Some are a bad float, misadjusted float, bad needle and or seat, bad gasket below the fuel level, too much fuel pressure.

You said it is a "new rebuilt carb". Not to be picky but to make a point, you can't get a new carb for these things anymore. The carb you got could have been rebuilt a number of different times. Just because it is rebuilt does not make it good. You could take the carb back to where you got it and tell them you want another. It may take a lot of different ones before you find one that is good. I worked on cars for a number of years and I can't even count the number of bad rebuilds I've seen.

Good luck
    Buck

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

These are not known as great carbs to put it mildly, neither the one BBL nor the 2BBL. There are plenty websites explaining how a nice 2bbl non-computer carb from a small Ford V8 of all things will do wonders for this engine. Depends on your local emissions inspections. Do they know thier...um catalytic converter from a hole in the ground? Do they give a damn? If you make it look like it could be original, that is good enough some places.

10. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Try unplugging the EGR vacuum.

11. Traci Ann

Where is the EGR?

1. Has this been going on from the first day you drove the Jeep or is it something that sort of just happened? - From the first day - we knew the car had issues but also had two vans with out tranny's and no way for dh to get to work.

2. If indeed you are getting that much fuel dumped you should see a black type of smoke coming out of the tail pipe. - When you start it it blows black smoke. When it begins to flood out if you push in the clutch and gas it - it blows black smoke.

As far as vehicle inspections - here in KS we don't have them. BUT we are moving to MO next year so I don't know what is required there.

12. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

An EGR valve = exhaust gas recirculation valve. It allows exhaust gas to be fed into the air fuel mixture. It's there to reduce an emission gas called NOX.

This rebuilt carb, did you buy it that way or did you have the old one rebuilt?

While it is hard for me to say without being there I'm still leaning toward a bad carb, either bad rebuild or a bad unit to begin with.

Buck

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Here, do this search and read all about this common transplant.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=motorcraft+2100+jeep&btnG=Search[/ame]

The Carter BBD computer carb is considered el crappo by Jeep people. A rebuild will not help much. There is a Weber replacement kit but its like $400. Thus many people go for the Ford/Motorcraft/Autolite 2100 carb route. Its a reliable carb. The trick if you have to deal with emmissions inspections is to make it look original. Go find a Jeep aircleaner off a 70s Wagoneer that says Jeep all over it and make vacuum connections look like they are there and in place. So on and so on. A 2100 in good shape will give better actual emmissions than a poor Carter BBD. Read the various articles.

14. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Just a trial-tie the choke butterfly open with a piece of small wire and see if the problem persists. It may be being told to close thereby flooding the engine out.
    Second, using a flat screwdriver pop the top off the carb and check to see if the float is actually stopping the gas flow(from pump) when bowl is full. Sometimes trash or maladjustment or damaged needle valve is the problem. Keep us posted as to what you find, wc