Carb for a 66 Chevy PU

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by landlord, Sep 23, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I am looking for a carb. for our 66 chevy 292 6 cyl. 3/4 ton p.u. Should we purchase a new one or have a kit put in our existing carb. or get a used one. Our current one will not idle and we have to use the manual choke or it will die when we try to take off from a stop.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

have it compleatly rebuilt just like new but cheaper the only thing they use is the body

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

you can buy a reman carb with warranty for about a hundred bucks either a holley or a champion is readily available at that price. A one year warranty is usually the standard on reman carbs.

A kit for the same thing if you are going to rebuild is about 20 bucks for a borg warner and a lil cheaper for a champion

so you can pay someone a hundred bucks and buy a kit for twenty and if it still goes to hell you are stuck at square one. Not counting the down time while they rebuild your carb.

or you can go down and buy a factory rebuilt one for a hundred bucks bolt it on in about thirty minutes yourself and if its defective in the next year or two you can replace it for free

yeah I am an ex auto parts man lol

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I also might ad that you should get you something like cabr cleaner in a spray can and spray around the base of the carb and anywhere else ie set screws etc and see if you have a leak. Check to make sure the mixture screw hasnt backed out as well a few turns. Most of the time the old rochester one barrels start leaking around where the linkage goes into the carb.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Look closely at your carb. Grab it by the top and wiggle it. It is very common for the screws holding the carb together to come loose. this will cause a very poor running engine. If this is the case many times you can just tighten the screws and drive on. If the gaskets have gone bad a rebuild kit will provide all you need. Also ck. closely for any vacum leaks. If you have to richen the mixture with the choke you might have a vacum leak. Check closely at the intake manifold gasket.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Like said check for leaks first.Then pick up a rebuild kit,and gasket.Most likely its just trash in it! But you'll need the gaskets from the kit to put it back together.First take it apart (take out the accelerator pump,and idle mixture needles) and clean the gunk out of the float bowl area with carb cleaner,wash out the passage's in the float bowl area make sure it sprays threw the others(needles and pump area).Don't get to carried away.Look threw the holes in the jets make sure there no trash stuck in them.(jets=the little round brass things,that monitor gas flow.Put in the new float needle and or other parts in the float area(dont adjust anything (yet) presume the float level is already correct.Dont tear the hole thing down(yet).And dont soak it in cleaner for very long.(Yet anyway).Put in the new accelerator pump parts and reassemble.
    Most kits come with instructions its fairly simple but do it over a table so you dont loose any thing.Theres a few small parts in there!
    Now put it back together and see if it works!
    If not!
    You can try really cleaning it good,and putting in any other parts that are in the kit.At this point you have nothing to loose.The reason i said dont soak it before is because some times the passage ways are worn from gas going threw them.If you clean them out to good,it screws it up as bad or worse than before.This has been my experience a couple of times.
    80 percent of the time its just dirt stuck some where it shouldn't be.

If any of this is incorrect some one advise please i may be a bit rusty! I got tired of rebuilding them and just started replacing with Edlebrocks(sp?)!
    Also never rebuilt a single barrel. ;)

7. uriah

uriah Member

East TN but usually on the road somewhere...
    The old one barrels are really simple to rebuild. If you have a air compressor, it's even better (to blow out a few small passages). Carb cleaner that comes with the little straw for reaching hard to get at places is nice too.

The 'factory' rebuilt carbs I've seen the last few years have been less then great. My buddy is the 'carb man' and he's had to rebuild several rebuilds, never seen one in these parts with a year warrantee, either.