car stopped this am?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

It's the coldest morning of the year and I am on the way to work when my car stopped moving--motor running sounds fine but the car would not move an inch. I had to push it off the road and then walk back home a mile and half!

Do you think it is the transmission or a belt? I have a tow truck coming to pull it back home so DH can work on it tonight... :no:

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

That happened to me and it was the transmission. I assume its an automatic. Did you try reverse?

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Let's not jump to conclusions!

What make,model and year is the car? Also what transmission type is it,manual or automatic?
    Answer these questions and we'll try to help.

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I tried the reverse and the 4 wheel drive.. When the wrecker pulled it into the yard, he had me start it and put it in drive while it was up and the wheels turned but not quickly.

1990 Nissan Pathfinder...Auto w/ 4 wheel drive!

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Tranny fluid level OK?? I've seen cars that'll run, but won't move because of low tranny fluid levels...

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

As someone else said check the trans fluid first before doing anything else. If you have any question or doubts about the correct procedure for checking the fluid look in the owners manual. If you don't have a manual read the dipstick itself. Many times it will have the correct procedure stamped on it. Some vehicles check the fluid in park and others in neutral, it does make a differnce. If the fluid is low and you want to add fluid first be sure to add the correct type of trans fluid, there are many out there now. If the fluid was that low as to cause the vehicle to stop moving it had to go somewhere so you will have to check for leaks.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Hope you get your car back Bee , that can Bee very frustrating !..fordy... :)