Car headliner: how to repair/replace???

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by QBVII, Nov 28, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experiences/recommendations as to how to repair a car headliner?

Can you do it yourself, with a kit?

TIA

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get some spray glue from a craft store and spray it on the liner and stick it back. We use to use it on upolstery when we covered something that was curved.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

It's pretty hard to do because the foam disintegrates and that is what causes the sagging. The best way to do it is to take out the backer board (easier said than done in some cars), scrape off all the old foam and then glue on a new foam backed fabric. Joanne's fabrics sells it in several colours at a very reasonable price - much cheaper than getting it through an auto type place. DS did his a few years ago and the biggest problem was getting a good glue - I don't know which brand he ended up using. My car has a suspended liner and I love it, no sagging!

4. Melissa

Melissa member

Wow, that brings back memories. I had a station wagon with a saggy liner. I was able to use red thumbtacks (matched the lining) and pushed them into the foam. It held in place perfectly. It was very cheap at least.

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

That is very very hard to do. For one thing the Liner is cardboard and The glue has disintegrated the said cardboard. And you will have a devil of a time getting the Cardboard back to a Smooth finish so the Glue can then set up with the New liner on it. NOW you can get screw in things that HOLD the liner up I did that for a while in my pickup till it gave way in another spot and I just ripped the bugger out. And I did the same in my Suburban years ago IT IS A MAJOR major job to put in a new liner over old cardboard that is falling to pieces in the first place.

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Repairing a headliner depends upon what style it is.

If it is a 1940s-50s model car it will probably have spring wires in sewn in fabric tubes on the back side of the headliner. Start at the windshield and work towards the back window. Each spring wire is screwed to the body at the sides.

Scratch all of that. If you had such a headliner it would in all likely hood still be in place and intact. Sometimes the old ways are better.

If yours is a more modern version of auto it may have an insulating board above the headliner fabric. If so you can hold it in place with a number of upholstery pins, like those pigtail screw ones you use to hold chair arm covers in place. They are available at Walmart for a buck or so per package. This is much cheaper and less messy than a number of other options.

7. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Our car has both sags and holes so I use spray glue - just poke the tip of the glue can through a conveniently :rolleyes: pre-existing hole.

/VM

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I don't imagine you could get it done for $100 - my car - actually it's a car I just bought - I bought an older Cadillac (whoo! my first Cadillac!!!) :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to tell anyone that I bought a car with a messed-up headliner but what the hey, I did........I got a '90 Cadillac Sedan DeVille for $900.
    Really good body, motor, and transmission, it looks good and drives good.
    The ONLY things "wrong" with it are the headliner - actually the headliner is GONE - there is foam there where it was removed - and anyway, I'm wondering if a person could just buy something (I don't know what, like quilt batting???), and glue up there, then somehow attach a light fabric to that...........I don't know.....I just looked on the 'net and taking a headliner OUT and redoing it is a very big job, I don't believe you could get it done for $100.
    Of course I could be wrong......come to think of it you probably couldn't glue anything up there without taking the thing out.
    So you would have to somehow attach it another way.
    My other car (another oldie), the headliner in that started sagging and I've been STAPLING it up! LOL
    I guess the most sensible thing would be to get a piece of cardboard the same shape as the headliner and attach the fabric to that, THEN attach THAT to the headliner with screws or something.

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

On one vehicle, I've done the 'staple it up' mehtod, which works allright for a while. On another vehicle, I removed the headliner board, removed the old disentigrated foam, got new fabric from the fabric store and glued it on with 3M spray adhesive, and it's still holding now 3 years later.

10. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

YAY
    I just called a place and they will do it for $103.
    I don't mind doing things myself but I would be clueless with something like this so we're taking it in Friday morning.

11. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

its very simple, first remove all the plastic parts around it, , the liner is usually glued on to a carboard or fiberglass board. carefully remove that board, then using a brush remove all the old foam, its usually brittle and flakes off, The material, can be purchased at hancock fabrics, or you can try other fabric or sewing supply stores. For most cars get about 2 yards if i remeber. Then spray 3m sray glue on the backing board and on the back of the material, two people holding two corners of the material.
    slowly start at one end and smooth material onto board a little at a time so you dont get wrinkles, continue until the material covers the board. trim off all but maybe an inch all the way around, you want a little to flip over so no loose spots, then replace board being careful not to bend or brak the board, replace the plastic interior pieces, and viola!!
    i used to do this as a side job, its not hard. You just have to be careful with the board, the fiberglass ones get brittle if it is an older car, and careful when you are smoothing the material on so you dont get wrinkles. the fabric is headliner fabric, you can get it at fabric store or upohlstry places. Cheaper at Hancoks. only takes about an hour, we used to pay 6 dollars a yard for material and 10.00 a can for the glue. so we did cars for about 25.00