car battery issue

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mpillow, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 99 sub. outback wagon.....that HAD a low battery issue for quite awhile that we finally replaced yesterday.... 2 years ago the alternator belts were replaced because of dry rot...at the time the car was being used just once a week....

Hubby calls me for group # on the battery...it is 35 with 490 coldcranking amps...so he comes home with a group 35 battery with more cca. He hooked it up nice as pie and started the car last night just fine...

This morning the car turns over quite rapidly and won't catch and start....there is plenty of power all the power features (windows etc) zing right along....

to me(admittedly mechanically challenged) it seems like too much zip in the battery but what do I know

Anyway hubby is off in his truck playing golf so basically just wondering if you gifted motor heads :bow: may have insight or remedy for my buggy.
    TIA

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

To many amps is no problem to little is a problem , why it wont start i cant say without much more info , the battery is doing its job cranking the engine, its the rest of the bits where theres a problem

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Sounds like a wire got left off or a fuse link failed, there apparently is no power going to the ignition system. Check your fuses first, not sure where they are located on that model.

Normally a stronger battery than standard is not a problem.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

wasn't the battery.....car is running now

it has been sitting for a week and the temps. are considerably cooler this am...I had to pump the gas (its fuel injected shouldn't have to) ....started rough but evened out....guess I'll run some injector cleaner and dry gas thru it....(she replied embarrassed as all get out)

Thanks!!!!

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I always put the largest CCA battery that will physically fit my vehicles.

MORE POWER!

'Tim Taylor' BooBoo

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

A problem with going for more CCA in the same size of battery is that in order to increase the CCA, they need to put more square inches of plates in the battery. After a certain point, more CCA means that the plates are thnner, less sturdy, and the battery life could be less. I wish they would give us more info on the internal structure of the batteries.

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

If I can remember, CORRECTLY, on that Sube, replacing the battery would clear the computer. It may start & act differently for a few starts/miles, til the computer resets itself to optimum conditions. You are probably running fine by now.