Captive Bolt Gun

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to buy one of these guns and about how much they cost? Also is the killing bloodless?

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Don't know if the job this gun does will be bloodless or not.
    But just as soon as you shoot the hog you have to slit his throat.

As soon as you cut the jugular vein in the hogs throat there will be plenty of blood.

You want all of the blood out of the hog as soon as possible while it is still warm.
    Bleed the hog out real good.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

TANGO
    They would be hard to come by and hard to use. You have to hold it tight to the head to work!! Aim is critical also,my recomindation would be a cheap 22cal. :) It will do the job for less money and has many more uses on the homestead!!!!
    Mike

4. onthehill10

onthehill10 Member

We always a 22 cal. riffle it works best. Yes you have to cut the jugular vain as soon as you can for it to bleed out reel good. Last year we killed 6, the first 3 killed one at a time, got in a hurey shot last 3 all at the same time the last layed for some time before we cut ther jugular vain. When we cut up those 2 there was blood in the hams and bacon, not very nice.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

No, no guys. That wasn't the point of my question. I am looking for a way to kill small pigs to freeze whole as exotic animal feeders. They need to be bloodless in the package. Thanks for reading again.

6. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

If they are going to be eated the blood will have to come out it wont be fit to eat.

If you just want to show frozen whole pigs on some kind of display use
    carbon monoxide, or drown them in water.

Your question is still not clear !

7. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

TANGO
    The captive bolt gun will not work for you!! It will penatrate just like a regular bullet.The only diferance is you don't leave the projectile in the head.As Bumpus said I would check into gas!!Thanks for clearing up what your need was.
    Mike

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member