Caponizing Rabbits

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bunnyperson, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bunnyperson

bunnyperson Guest

does anyone here caponize rabbits? do you use a anesthetic? Ether? how about spaying does? i know roosters are caponized and the surgery is invasive so couldn't it be done with does too? if you use ether do you just let them inhale till they are asleep? how long does it last????

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

May I ask why you are wanting to caponize rabbits or spay them?

The equivalent of caponizing roosters is neutering your rabbit. The "testes" on a rooster are located along the back, inside the animal. In a rabbit, just as with a dog or a bull, the testes are on the outside of the animal, at the rear. I would think the process of neutering would be fairly straight forward, slicing off the bottom of the scrotal sacs, pulling the testicles down and out, scraping or pulling them loose (NOT cutting them sharply unless you want the rabbit to hemmorhage). The rabbit is not likely to just lie there and allow you to do this. Rabbits kick, they have claws, and they're not afraid to use them.

If you are raising a good meat breed, such as New Zealands or Californians, they should be plenty large to butcher at 8 to 12 wks. At that age, they are still very tender. If you are raising commercially, your best market is for a younger fryer, not a larger roaster.

Caponizing is for the purpose of tenderness at a larger size. Well, your rabbit should have reached pretty close to full size at 6-8 months, and roasters of that age should still be tender. I don't really think that neutering the rabbit will make a significant difference. Much effort, small gain, not an efficient use of resources.

I won't say much about spaying rabbits at home. Would you allow someone with no training to perform major abdominal surgery on YOU on your kitchen table? 'Nuff said.

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

LOL.. I thought it said.. CANNONIZE.... I was thinking... can a RABBIT be a saint?? I don't think the bible says anything about animals being saints... LOL

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'm sure the rabbit would chose being cannonized over caponized any day!

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL, Dawndra! I know my flighty New Zealand Whites are no candidates for sainthood. Maybe I ought to offer them the choice of the two...it might make them act nicer :grin:

6. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

I would think that a VET would be able to perform the procedure without any problems.... But, then again, if you're looking for do-it-yourself information on the web ..... If you're raising for meat, as mentioned previously, you don't have to worry about it. If you're raising for the "pet" market you might want to reconsider as there appears to be a growing glut of unwanted "pet" rabbits already. And, personally, I wouldn't consider using the pet industry "overstock" for food as one never knows what the rabbit (or any animal in a similar situation for that matter) has been previously fed.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I doubt I'd try to anesthesize a rabbit by myself. Rabbits are difficult to anesthesize without them dying. A lot of vets are leary of doing it, even with proper monitering equipment. And I can't see one sitting still for surgery.

Meg

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Rabbits are a bit tricky to neuter. The blood supply that goes to the testes is extensive, much more so in comparison than a dog or cat.

That's not to say that it shouldn't be done. It sure makes a nicer pet... out of the bucks, especially.

The Veterinarian that you pick to do this should be experienced as it's not quite the same as cats and dogs as rabbits can be sensitive to some anesthetics.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

I would post this over on the Rabbit Forum..that's what it's for and there are some very knowledgeable people there re rabbits.

Good luck, LQ

9. RNRQ

RNRQ Member

Here's one I've done, and done successfully...per the book Rabbit Production, where it discusses wool and fur production, there is a method described using calcium chloride injected into each testicle.

It works quite well, with a few precautions/caveats.

ALWAYS use the smallest needle you can.
    ALWAYS have a second person holding.
    ALWAYS make sure, before injecting ANY amount, that the needle is NOT in a blood vessel.

Calcium Chloride CAN be lethal and stop the heart if given IV; it is a very painful event and NOT acceptable for euthanasia, in case you are wondering.

It DOES do a nice job of dessicating the testes with very little stress involved. And you guys needn't flinch so much either.

The rabbits usually just lie there as you insert the needle from the bottom of the testes to the thickest portion toward the top. Pull back and give a small fraction, withdraw the needle slightly and repeat. Repeat all the way down the testicle, evenly distributing the chemical through the center of the teste.

That's all there is to it. Couple of weeks, no more bunny balls. :)

Ask your vet about the CaCl; you may or may not be able to obtain it, or more than one dose.

PA

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I have castrated rabbit, single handed by wrapping in a towel around the upper body and holding him down with one leg (sitting on the floor) the hind legs are braced into the folds of my jeans of my other leg, each testical is located and cut open, sqeezed out and PULLED untill the cords break, the rabbit will react to the pull most of all, I tryed crushing/cutting but it was harder to do quickly. I like to spray with a phenol, sore throat spray it is clean and puts the cut nerves to sleep quickly.

I raise gaint breed rabbits and do not have a refridgerator or freezer to store meat, so this allows them to hold a high quality of meat for along time while eatting a minimum of feed, most of the time just grass hay. My 1st rabbit wether was cooked and served at our local homestead gathering in Oct. of 2004. He proved to have excellent tender meat at more than one year of age.