Canyon Industries Micro-Hydro

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by highlands, Jun 8, 2006.

1. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

I am looking to do 120VAC Hydroelectric - 120VAC because I do not want to deal with the cost or hassle of batteries. I have good head and flow - 120' to 260' of head with the flow depending on which point in that range I take from varying from 5g/m to over 50g/m during the dry season.

I had been looking at the Harris Hydro pelton wheel but the person who has taken that over suggested my application might be better served by Canyon Industires.

Has anyone had experience with either of them?

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont

2. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

Walter,

Just out of curiousity, why did he/she point you toward Canyon Industries? I'm also considering microhydro--lower flow than you, decent head. The Harris thing has been the most likely option for my application, so far...

Now I'm off to check out the other product, so I'd like to hear the answer to your question, too...

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

He said that his system, Harris Hydro Pelton wheels, isn't powerful enough or right for AC generation and is made for use with battery storage. I don't want batteries. A long term analysis of the system shows batteries to be the largest cost and they are not renewable or manufacturable by myself in the event of a problem with supply.

I have been looking at this for a long time and had thought I would be going with the Harris until he explained that. I just got off the phone with Eric at Canyon Industries. He was very helpful. The 240VAC Canyon 12/15-1 will cost about twice what the Harris Hydro system would cost for initial setup, everything included, but it will generate about 10 to 20 times as much power. Most importantly it will be AC and not use batteries. I need the AC for equipment. Extra power I'll divert to heat generation of a _very_ large water tank in the core of the house.