Canteloupe jam

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bruce in NE, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever made canteloupe jam or jelly? Looks like I'm going to have a good crop this year. I know there are recipes on the internet, but I'm looking for someone who's actually made it, and how it turned out??

Thanks

bruce

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have made a jam that was a peach/cantalope blend. It was quite popular with those I shared it with.
    Meg

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

The French make watermelon jam. Would you like me to ask someone for the recipe?

4. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I hope you get some good ideas, we are swimming in cantalope! You might try freezing some too in small chunks, if you suck on frozen cantalope it breaks a fever.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Yes I devote an entire freezer to frozen canteloupe and tomatoe juice.

Not sure that watermelon recipe would work for cants...but I do have several recipes for cant jam.

By the way, I've read that canteloupe leads all other fruits in nutritional value. Plums are at the bottom.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Muskmelon (Cantaloupe) Preserves

Take green melons that are fully grown but not ripe. Pare and cut them in shapes to suit your taste. In the evening put them in a weak brine and leave them until the next day at noon. Then wash in fresh water. Place in a kettle in enough water to cover them and add a piece of alum the size of a hickory nut. Cover with grapes leaves and scald. Then take them up and drain. Add 1 pound of sugar to 1 ½ pounds of melon. Season with sliced lemon and ginger according to the amount of preserves. Cook until the mixture is thick and the melon is transparent. Seal.

(I just had to share this old recipe…even though I have not made it)

Pickled Cantaloupe

1 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    3 sticks cinnamon
    12 whole cloves
    4 cups fresh cantaloupe spears

Combine water, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan; simmer uncovered, about 5 minutes.

Add cantaloupe; heat to boil

Cool and chill (Chill at least 1 day before serving.)