cantapoupe question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tonasket, Aug 13, 2006.

1. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

can you pick cantaloupe before they ripen fully? MIL has a ton of huge fruit, afraid they're gonna get eaten by pests, will they finish ripening off the vine? they are full sized and firm.

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Well, you can take one off the vine and test it.

If it's good, then... well, you'd better take another to check, just to be sure. ;)

Seriously, how far along are they? Are they almost ripe? Not quite but almost?
    They'll ripen a bit off the vine, but I would not pick them totally unripe.

I'd hate to lose my melons to pests, but if they were unripe, I think I'd look for ways to deter the pests.

BTW, had to smile when I noticed your spelling mishap in the title. :rotfl:

Pony!

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

If it is a choice between you eating the lopes or the bugs and you are not going to dust or spray to get rid of the pests; then pick one a find out how it taste. They can be picked before being fully ripe however the lopes will not get the full flavor and sweetness that they would if left on the vine. I would not refridgerate them right away either, I think that would stop them from ripening more even off the vine. The ones you buy in the stores are picked early so they can be shipped and arrive in better condition.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep but like said they will not get as sweet.I was loosing so many to rot on the vine this year.That i picked some half green but they only lasted 3 to 4 days indoors before roting. :Bawling: So i wouldn't recommend picking to many at once until you see if yours will last longer.
    Whats eating them? Thinking a dusting of seven dust or maybe some liquid dish soap might help detour the pest.

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I don't think they will truly ripen off the vine, but they will get softer. They are ripe at full slip, meaning the stem will slip right off the fruit when you give it the slightest pull. Before then you have to really yank or cut it. Some of the "fancier" melons do not follow the same "ripeness" test...Ann

6. country friend

country friend country friend

I pick mine a few days before they are fully ripe just starting to turn yellow . I set them in the window sill and they get ripe just fine and seem to be real sweet and good to me but it might be the type of melon mine are the market type melons .
    Indiana Country Friend

7. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

LOL! - you're thread title is "cantaPoupe question"!

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I imagine if you eat enough cantaLoupe, it will clear up the cantaPoupe situation... ;)

Pony!