Can't get high speed internet and buyers need it, is there a way around it? (asap)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Jun 11, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

We had an offer on our house yesterday, but the buyers need high speed internet which isn't available to my home, but it is in town 6 miles away. The buyers need it for a home based business. Is there any way around this? Can the buyers use a laptop and get high speed internet from a server farther away? Everything else is good with the offer, that's the only stipulation. Hope you can help, Thanks Chris

2. canfossi

We just have dial-up right now, would a really fast modem/computer help at all if there is no way around this? Thanks Chris

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Wildblue satellite will run them about $500 to install and $50/month.

Check with the local service provider and see if they are installing wireless antennas... they go up on telephone poles and provide high speed service in areas where ethernet connections aren't possible. Usually about $100 for equipment and $50 a month in this area (provided they're [the isp provider] willing to put the antennas up).

We went with Wildblue.

4. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

It may be different in Canada but here you can get high speed thru verizion wireless and maybe others. They use the cell towers to get it to you. It's like 70.00 a month and it works anyware you get good cell service. I've seen this work miles from anyware.

5. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Check www.wildblue.com for high speed, two-way satellite internet -- $300 for equipment, $50 a month.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Or Direcway, which is what we use. We are also fulltime in a 5th wheel, and we take our dish wherever we go... also in central AR right now :)

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Your options would be DSL, Cable, Satellite, some sort of wireless(wifi,cellular,etc) dialup.

8. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I'm a bit over 50 miles form town. Tell 'em to get satelitte.

9. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

I have this problem as well (needing HS interest for working at home). It is posing to be a big problem for me in rural environments. My company does not allow the use of satellite internet; however, the ppl who wish to buy your home might be able to use it. That really (other than wireless and I don't know much about that) is your/their only option.

10. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Wildblue, last I checked, was running a special -- free installation, $300 for equipment, plus monthly charges which range from $50 on up. With taxes etc. mine runs $110 a month but I use it for business and do some fairly heavy-duty uploading and downloading including of video. The contract is only for one year, which is less than the competition.

It's FAST. I'm very happy with it!

Only thing I will say is that the dish is enormous. I get comments on it all the time, it's significantly larger than a TV dish -- maybe twice the size. (Though some of the comments may be because I've got a huge dish on a small mobile home!)

Note: You can't get TV from the same dish as Wildblue. If they want satellite TV they'll need a second dish. If they want to use the SAME dish for TV and satellite they'll need to go with Starband or Direcway.

11. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

depends on the server and line of sight but a wireless hook up beats ma bell's dsl. we have one near us ,storm, 6 miles with line of sight is nothing!we would have too put up a receiver tower as there are too many hills and trees/houses in our line of sight. and no dsl on our back road (bareley a phone/or bit line somedays_) friend of ours in northern ont. started his own receiver/rebroadcast co. that was not cheap but with the resell on the transmiter has given him cheaper wireless internet.

12. canfossi

Ford Major, I talked to Bell/Sympatico, they said that wireless is coming to my road by the end of the year. Is that like high speed or is it at least better than dial-up? The real estate agent is coming this afternoon so I would like to inform her about it so she can get back to the people who are interested. Thanks Chris

13. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We have DirecWay which is now Hughes.net satelite. It's a fairly substantial out of pocket amount to get set up but we're very pleased with it and have far less outages than we did with dial-up.

There's an amazing difference in speed!

14. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Wildblue Just Now made a deal with The Dish Network to partnership up so I would be talking to them.
    And the Direct TV's Direct PC they are going to drop that service so I am not sure who will be picking up Directpc after Hughes/Direct-TV decides to drop that service because of not enough subscribers. less then 1/2 million subscribe to DirectPC

15. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Never sell your property on such contingencies. I would have rejected a contract laughing and out of hand. This is their dream, not yours. They are trying to make you do their work for them. Ridiculous. S.

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wireless is as fast as DSL or cable internet. I really, really wish we had a line of site so we could put a wireless antena up. As it is, we use Starband satellite internet.

17. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Careful folks... this advice needs moderating. If these folks need high speed LOW LATENCY internet (that is, they host their own servers at home), they cannot use either satellite OR wireless, but must have a land line.

Contact the phone company and check to see where the closest data network box sits. DSL can run 13,000 feet or so (they say 18,000, but they lie ;-). You can ask for a quote on what it will take to get a DSLAM or other network device close enough to your farm to provide real highspeed internet. (It will be a lot of money)

R

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you can work out a deal with someone who has access to broadband such as cable or DSL you can sometimes shoot a point to point link with them with the proper equipment especially if you are on relatively flat land, have tv towers or high roofs etc on both ends and don't mind bending a few rules when it comes to power if need be. Just make sure you encrypt everything heavily and keep your mouth shut about what you're doing. That includes disguising the antennas if needed on the cable/DSL end so no company folks get wise.

19. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually seems like a real simple one to me. The folks need high speed internet access, so they won't buy a property that can't get it. If they are new to the area, they would have the hardest time locating such a thing, so they make an offer pending being able to find what they need.

Simpler for the homeowner/ realitor to track down local providers - moreso than a newbie to the area.

Since they are asking, I assume they would know that satilite is available, buit might not work for them & their needs. Satilite has several issues (such as the distance/ time delay) that make it not suitable for heavy or time-sensitive use.

Wireless is cool, but sounds like it has the same problems as satilite - didn't know that thought it worked as good as DSL. Kinda hard to track down wireless - the phone co likely won't tell you who their compitition is, and wireless can come from a cell phone co, different technology co, computer store, or as in my case, the local farm coop feed/elevator/fertilizer place - they allowed wireless on their grain legs, and get cheaper communications for their own use, let a distant cell phone co get into ISP in this area. One really needs to snoop around to find wireless providers.... If you can see a tower, water tower, grain leg, etc. check out if anyone has a wireless on top of there.

DSL on the phone line is sometime possible at 128 or 64k in fringe areas. If those speeds are good enough (smetimes the 'always on' part of high-speed is more important than the 'high speed' part....), might want to push a little harder with the phone co, see what is possible.....

Cable internet is often faster than DSL, but you don't get cable service out there I'd assume.

And no, a bigger computer with a 'faster' modem won't cut it - limited to slightly less than 56k on dial-up, and can't stay connected all the time as is typically needed by those who need these high-speed connections. Dial-up will be a no-go for sure.

need to find out their real needs - what speed, what type of connection - and see what you can get.

--->Paul

20. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Lets review. you have a solid potential buyer. With a few phone calls, and a bit of time on this forum, you can respond to the buyer with several potential solutions, including the knowledge that cable broadband will be installed shortly. This makes it clear to your prospect that you are not only a motivated seller, but a decent human being who is willing to go the extra mile to help. No don't do that. It is far better to laugh at this, lose a sale and prove ......what exactly? That you are stubborn, difficult and unreasonable. That will draw the buyers in, and make your real estate agent really want to go the extra mile :rolleyes: This is like my neighbor who has a house for sale. Like a lot of regions of the country, we no longer have a seller's market. The house is an outdated style and part of the roof was damaged in a winter storm. He decided to put blue tarps up instead of fixing the roof. If, (and it's one giant if) anybody bothers to look at the place and make an offer, they will lowball severely because the place looks like it was owned by somebody who just doesn't care. The stubborn, "let the new owners fix the roof " attitude is going to cost this guy tens of thousands more than the cost of a new roof. Another good move :rolleyes: