Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
why are all the blue collar places of employment still hiring?
That is the question. My point being it is not related to labor participation rate. Do we simply have a labor shortage? Or do people simply not want to do blue collar jobs?

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For release 10:00 a.m. (ET) Wednesday, September 8, 2021

The number of job openings increased to a series high of 10.9 million on the last business day of July

In July, the job openings rate increased in medium establishments with 50-249 employees and decreased
in large establishments with 5,000 or more employees.

This tells me we have a labor shortage, that is 8 million above the number that dropped out of the work force.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
86% of students graduate high school. Where do the 14% that do not graduate work?

36% of Americas got a bachelors degree. Where did the 50% of high school graduates that did not get a college degree work?

In the past decade, the rate of labor force participation of the population age 25 and over fell for all education groups except those who had not completed high school. Labor force participation fell 3.1% for people with a bachelor’s degree or higher. It fell by 4.5% for those who completed high school.

I think we have deemphasized trades and blue collar work. The shortages are painfully visible now

We do not reward low skill jobs enough to motivate some people to work, and yes, you could say government assistance is a disincentive to work. That one/two punch has us begging for workers, and driving illegal immigration as they are willing to take those jobs.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
I'm retired so I see this. Just take a drive around your hometown on any day the weather is decent and you will see a whole lot of able bodied young folks in their yards, on their porches, at the stores, at the restaurants, etc. that simply don't and won't work. They freeload off family, suck up any government hand outs they can get, and when things get desperate do just enough work to get by.

In my opinion, at the heart of this is unparented children. The teenage single moms raising kids by themselves can't work, since baby daddy took off and doesn't contribute, so they get on the government dole. Raise a few generations of kids in this type of environment where responsibility is non existent and nobody works, and it's easy to see why we have a problem. Need to cut the government freebees way back and force people into going back to work and hopefully making better decisions.

Of course, talking like this will never get anyone elected to public office, so don't look for change anytime soon.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I work in recruiting right now. Hiring people for a large bank primarily in the New York and Ohio markets. While the extra unemployment money was rolling in it was very difficult to find anyone that wanted to work, They made more sitting at home. Now that the extra dough has gone, we've seen a slight uptick in candidates but the quality has gone way down. And finding a candidate that can speak clearly and then pass both a drug screen and background check is a miracle. But hey, it's job security for me. My question is: how are these people living if we have so many people that aren't even looking for work? Mom & dad's basement? Hand outs? Welfare? who's paying the bills? People can be picky these days because there are so many more jobs than decent applicants.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
I have heard of people that got money for back rent and didn't even have a landlord. They were so hard on the programs for not getting that money out they they started to let it go quick without vetting anyone. Ask @TripleD. Often it can be several thousand dollars.

I work in recruiting right now. Hiring people for a large bank primarily in the New York and Ohio markets. While the extra unemployment money was rolling in it was very difficult to find anyone that wanted to work, They made more sitting at home. Now that the extra dough has gone, we've seen a slight uptick in candidates but the quality has gone way down. And finding a candidate that can speak clearly and then pass both a drug screen and background check is a miracle. But hey, it's job security for me. My question is: how are these people living if we have so many people that aren't even looking for work? Mom & dad's basement? Hand outs? Welfare? who's paying the bills? People can be picky these days because there are so many more jobs than decent applicants.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Far too many have given up on working, and are gaming the system for government benefits. They have been out of the workforce long enough now, that they aren't counted as unemployed !

Truly, some of these people are living in vans on BLM land, and subsisting somehow.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We all are under the impression that employers cannot find employees, but then we get a low number of people being hired. That is confusing.

The headline number was hurt by a 123,000 decline in government payrolls, while private payrolls increased by 317,000.​
Nonfarm payrolls rose by just 194,000 in the month, compared to the Dow Jones estimate of 500,000, the Labor Department reported Friday.​

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,437 Posts
What is confusing? Employers can't find employees to hire so they can't hire.

Here we have just given up for the time being.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What is confusing? Employers can't find employees to hire so they can't hire.

Here we have just given up for the time being.
That was the premise of this thread. Where did the people go? Why can't they find them?

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
That was the premise of this thread. Where did the people go? Why can't they find them?
I get the low-wage jobs being difficult to fill due to the unemployment benefit situation. What confuses me is the decent-wage applicant deficit. We’ve had trouble filling the $40-80k jobs that are very healthy wages for the area the jobs are in.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I get the low-wage jobs being difficult to fill due to the unemployment benefit situation. What confuses me is the decent-wage applicant deficit. We’ve had trouble filling the $40-80k jobs that are very healthy wages for the area the jobs are in.
I don't know if unemployment pay is still boosted.

People are now getting an advance on their income tax childcare credit. People are going to freak out when they don't get their tax refund next year, and heaven forbid they actually owe tax payments,

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If we returned to pre Covid labor participation we would add 5 million jobs.

That five trillion dollar spending bill is supposed to add only 10 million jobs.

We live in bizarre-o world.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts