Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are 205,159,610 working age people in the US as of Aug 12, 2021

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Can a drop of of 3 million workers (out of a work force of over 200 million) really have the level of effect we are experiencing?

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot believe less than a two percent drop in labor participation can have such an effect.

I don't find it credible

We had over a 4 percent drop from 2008 to 2018

·
Unapologetically me
21,365 Posts
I don’t know why. Just know it’s awful trying to find workers.
It's like that here too.
I guess unemployment pays so good they don't feel they have to work.
We are raising a generation of people who have no self respect and don't want it.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
It's like that here too.
I guess unemployment pays so good they don't feel they have to work.
We are raising a generation of people who have no self respect and don't want it.
My brother has four adult children living at home. Ages 23 to18 and none of them have ever had a job!!! We weren't brought up that way....

·
Unapologetically me
21,365 Posts
My brother has four adult children living at home. Ages 23 to18 and none of them have ever had a job!!! We weren't brought up that way....
I have 3 kids, all workaholics. I guess they grew up watching Mom and Dad work 2 jobs and try to make a pig farm work. They new if they wanted something, they'd have to work for it.
My brother's girls on the other hand all think the world owes them everything.
I don't know if being raised by a single dad had anything to do with it, I don't know if his psycho second wife had anything to do with it, but out of the 4 he's got only one I consider near normal.

Reactions: Pony and TripleD

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don’t know why. Just know it’s awful trying to find workers.
From everything I'm reading, the workers (read: labor class) are tired of "being taken advantage of" by employers (low wages, lack of benefits, uncertain schedules, etc.), and treated like crap by customers—there are news reports daily of customers being abusive to staff, especially in restaurants. The workers are no longer putting up with it and are walking out. Also, many people who formerly worked in service jobs took the opportunity during the pandemic "shutdown" to update their skills and found jobs outside the service sector.

Finally, looking at it from the other end, too many employers (1) use résumé-matching software and this eliminates too many people from consideration for open positions because the résumé doesn't match the stated requirements EXACTLY, and (2) the requirements the employer has set are unrealistic, such as requiring 5 years experience for an entry-level position, or, my favorite, requiring more years of experience in, say, software than the software has been available. As an example, back in the late-90s, a friend applied to be a database manager for a company using specific database software—the problem? The company wanted 10 years experience with the database but the software had only been available for 4 years.

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From everything I'm reading, the workers (read: labor class) are tired of "being taken advantage of" by employers (low wages, lack of benefits, uncertain schedules, etc.), and treated like crap by customers

Finally, looking at it from the other end, too many employers (1) use résumé-matching software and this eliminates too many people from consideration for open positions because the résumé doesn't match the stated requirements EXACTLY
I think there is a lot to both of those things.

People questioning why work crap jobs, and automation culling workers before they even get a phone call interview.

·
The Renegade...
2,271 Posts
I have 3 kids, all workaholics. I guess they grew up watching Mom and Dad work 2 jobs and try to make a pig farm work. They new if they wanted something, they'd have to work for it.
My brother's girls on the other hand all think the world owes them everything.
I don't know if being raised by a single dad had anything to do with it, I don't know if his psycho second wife had anything to do with it, but out of the 4 he's got only one I consider near normal.
I was a single father, my son’s have had jobs since they were 13 &14 years old., sometimes holding down multiple jobs and going to school at the same time. They were Valedictorian and Class President etc, each being awarded between $60,000 & $80,000 in scholarships. Both graduated from the University with Honors.They served honorably in the military.(One is nearing retirement from the Air Force after 16 years in the Army.)
One is now a professional musician and High School teacher and a widower /single father.
The other is a father,husband Member of the Air Force Reserve and has a job in Federal Law Enforcement.
I think that it all boils down to a few simple things such as the expectations that parents have of their children and those the children have of themselves.
“What you allow Shall continue.”

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not seen the gender breakdown of those not returning to work.

I wonder if the majority of those not returning to work are women? Maybe they liked being a home manager?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I think things run in cycles. Why worker shortages happen I really don't know.
I do remember 20 to 25 years ago I worked at a place that kept asking us workers, if we knew anyone breathing to bring them in if they wanted a job.
Also, at another job getting calls into our department trying to poach workers with offers of a job at the callers company.
Heck, I remember applying for jobs and getting hired on the spot, but that doesn't happen anymore does it?
I think conditions of a workplace could be one cause of shortages, only offering part time instead of full with benefits as an example.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Back in the mid 80's layoffs were going thru the fab shop. I volunteered, I thought six weeks off during deer season would be great!!! No such luck they laid off a guy with a newborn ...

·
Registered
17,947 Posts
I cannot believe less than a two percent drop in labor participation can have such an effect.

I don't find it credible

We had over a 4 percent drop from 2008 to 2018
That drop didn't last 18 months did it?

I think the issue is this time they are getting paid to stay home. This means the lower wage people aren't working. These people work unloading ships and warehouses.

Last time the Wall st people lost their jobs. That's why we didn't notice as much. Then those same Wall St people went to work bagging groceries and unloading boats when they lost their jobs.

All jobs are not equal. The jobs that that make America operate are not the white collar jobs nearly as much as the blue collar ones.

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That drop didn't last 18 months did it? It lasted 10 years, up into present day.

I think the issue is this time they are getting paid to stay home. This means the lower wage people aren't working. These people work unloading ships and warehouses. Amazon and Walmart workers were working at peak load during Covid, still are.

Last time the Wall st people lost their jobs. That's why we didn't notice as much. Then those same Wall St people went to work bagging groceries and unloading boats when they lost their jobs.

All jobs are not equal. The jobs that that make America operate are not the white collar jobs nearly as much as the blue collar ones. I suspect the bulk of lost jobs were hospitality related. Then I looked it up
The largest sector of the economy, professional and business services, went from employing 21.6 million Americans in February to employing 20.2 million in September.

The three hardest-hit industries—tour operators, convention and trade show organizers, and travel agencies

Leisure and hospitality was the second-largest sector of the economy at the start of the year, employing 16.9 million in February. It has now fallen to fifth place following the loss of more than 3.8 million jobs.

The healthcare sector is another where no sub-industry has added jobs since the pandemic. Only dialysis centers, which provide necessary care that cannot be delayed, have maintained their pre-crisis employment levels.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
These people work unloading ships and warehouses.
I had friends who unloaded ships back in the 80's, union scale back then was $40.00 per hour. They did everything from driving new cars off the ship, to running a crane. I have a sister in law who unloads trucks at a trans shipment terminal, she makes $200.00 for four hours work. That's $50.00 per hour.

We have a generation of people who simply don't want to work, and are content to get by on welfare, and unemployment money.

·
Registered
17,947 Posts
I had friends who unloaded ships back in the 80's, union scale back then was $40.00 per hour. They did everything from driving new cars off the ship, to running a crane. I have a sister in law who unloads trucks at a trans shipment terminal, she makes $200.00 for four hours work. That's $50.00 per hour.

We have a generation of people who simply don't want to work, and are content to get by on welfare, and unemployment money.
My father used to do that for a while to back in the '60's. Many of them are not Union anymore though. The must recent longshoreman that I know made 100k/ year in Alaska. He was the boss. That was 10 years ago.

But my point is still valid pertaining to @HDRider question. If that article above that he qouted was true then why are all the blue collar places of employment still hiring? According to that writer, they should be just fine and have all the people they need. Only the top three should be hurting right now. That doesn't explain all the help wanted signs though.

And I agree with you too even though that wasn't what I was talking about in my post on this thread. People need to get a job if they don't have one. These people think someone else will save them because someone always has on the past. If stuff don't change there will be no one left to save these people though. And this ant here won't be feeding no grasshoppers any time soon.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts