Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or can at least point me to a link or something.

Are pharmacists allowed to change your prescription amount without first checking with your doctor?

Medco prescriptions-by-mail keeps shorting my husband on his insulin and syringes. I complain and complain but get the standard canned response which basically amounts to, "we don't care."

I've emailed the FDA to see if they know but haven't heard back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
637 Posts
To my knowledge (limited), pharmacists are not allowed to change the amount of drug dispensed. However, your insurance co. may only pay for 30 days at a time. I used to buy DS' meds 100 tablets (once a day meds) at a time, but I had to pay for it without it going thru the insurance co.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a problem something like yours told my dr. and she made call to them no more problem.might be worth a try.or change company's.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,847 Posts
I don't think the FDA regulates pharmacies.

Medco Health pulls that .....um....stuff frequently. Have your doc phone them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husbands company contracted with Medco to fill prescriptions. Prescriptions are written for 90 supply of maintenance medication.

Prescription written for 450 syringes was sent 360
Prescription written for 4 vials of insulin was sent only 3

I won't even get started on the fact that Medco is actually much more expensive than retail pharmacies. I'll battle that one next.

I found a link to NC Board of pharmacy and emailed them to see if they have any advice. I also plan on contacting the plan administrator and lobbying for going back to retail pharmacies to get prescriptions filled.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Anita in NC said:
My husbands company contracted with Medco to fill prescriptions. Prescriptions are written for 90 supply of maintenance medication.

Prescription written for 450 syringes was sent 360
Prescription written for 4 vials of insulin was sent only 3

I won't even get started on the fact that Medco is actually much more expensive than retail pharmacies. I'll battle that one next.

I found a link to NC Board of pharmacy and emailed them to see if they have any advice. I also plan on contacting the plan administrator and lobbying for going back to retail pharmacies to get prescriptions filled.

...............This is called.....Profit !! , fordy

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
As long as they report what they are really giving you, 360 units, and give you 360 units, then I believe they can do that. They can't change the prescription/recipe itself.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi, I am a pharmacist, but don't know if I can help. I have not worked at a mail order pharmacy. I can think of a couple of reasons that the quantity may be changed on you.
1- Your plan has a maximum amount that they will pay for regardless of "how long it takes you use it up" The maximum may be 360 syringes and 3 vials of insulin. They will get your copay more frequently.
2- Your written prescription's frequency of use (like 3 times per day) is incorrect as to how it is being used. You are using it more frequently than what is written.

A pharmacist cannot "change" the quantity written, but may change the amount dispensed at one time. I will give you an example.

Let's say the doctor writes for M&M's , take 1 tablet 3 times daily. Dispense #360.
You would need 90 tabs for a one month supply, which is what your plan will pay for. So, instead of giving you 360, you are given 90, and the balance is available to you until your prescription expires. Or, in the case of mail order, you would be given 270 for a 3 months supply, and there would be a balance of 90 available to you until it expires. Usually, a prescrption expires 1 year from the date it is written, or 6 months for a controlled substance. Different state laws may vary.

Clear as mud???

You can always buy the full amount for cash.

I know that this is very frustrating for you. You must insist on getting an answer from the mail order pharmacy. Insist on speaking to a pharmacist. The pharmasist can pull the original hard copy of the prescription and explain it to you.
I wouldn't ask the doctor to rewrite the order until you know why the first one is being dispensed like it is.

I am forced to use mail order too, and believe it or not, I get 4 months for my copay instead of the 3 months I am supposed to get. So, of course I am not complaining.

If I can help you out any other way, please let me know!

Kimberly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts