cant find my bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by famer_manda, May 25, 2005.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

two or three weeks ago my kids and I bought 2 bunnies. They are not purebreds. They are just bunnies! Well they kept getting out but always stayed where I could find them really easy. That was until three days ago. One got out by itself and I haven't seen it since. My daughter seen it yesterday next to the van and it did poo right next to our porch atleast once or twice. So its there but I haven't seen it. Its hiding good and its not coming out when im around. heheh s/he knows i will not stop til its back in the pen once I know where its at.

How can I figure out where its going? I dont have anything to trap it with so I would either have to find its home or its goign to have to come into view. I have let another rabbit go free for 9 months before it finally disappeared so im not against letting this one run but I just got it and its too early for me not to want to pet it and hold it and feed it myself. hehe Any ideas how to find it?

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, here's a suggestion....

Since rabbits are "crepuscular" critters, which means they are most active
    during the dawn and twilight hours, that would be your best bet for seeing
    and possibly catching it. Once you have seen it, choose that same spot to
    set out some food each day, which should facilitate your ability to catch
    it. It may take a few days, but I'm sure you'll eventually get it. Rabbits
    tend not to wander far from their known source of food.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Now I don't like to say it, but that isn't very responsible. If you get an animal that you are committing to taking care of it to the best of your abilities- that does NOT mean you get an animal and keep it till you get tired of it, and then set it free to almost inevitably become food for a nasty coyote or wolf. It would be a cruel thing to do to a dog, and it's cruel to do this to the rabbit. They are domestic, don't have a burrow to hide in, they don't have the same basic fear instincts as a wild bunn, and they certainly aren't accustomed to running for their lives. It's been bred out of them to be alert to threats.

Now, that little lecture said, Pat's advice, is, as always, as good as it comes. I thought I might add that another way to attract an escapee is to place your captive bunny in a low cage and put it out where you think your bunny might be. They often visit their friends. Also, if you find yourself facing a rabbit that is hiding in bushes, you can sometimes herd them out into the open with a hose. Soak them at the same time, as a wet rabbit is a slow rabbit. If you find yourself chasing a rabbit, try and scare it a little. The majority of pet rabbits will just hunker down and wait for the end if you are getting too close.

Best of luck to you, and I sincerely hope you decide to keep them either in a fenced yard or cage!

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that if there is an SPCA or animal shelter or maybe even a good country vet near by, they may have a live trap you can borrow. We have lent out a few when I worked for a local vet. Sometimes you may catch the wrong critter, but no harm done(unless of course it happens to be a skunk!)

5. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

F Manda- did you find your bunny?

6. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

Sorry I forgot i had posted my question here. heheh.

Yes I found him/her. We were getting ready to go get some chicks and my daughter was in the shed geting out the animal food and it spooked the rabbit out of there. She was hiding near the buckets.

We chased her a good half hour til I finally grabbed the legs. We flipped the cage upside down so they couldn't get out til I had time to fix the door on the real cage.

The rabbit that got out last year that we let roam-kept getting out and getting out and getting out. I never did figure out how. Though we would keep putting the food in there and she woudl come back and eat and we would see her in there for awhile and disappear again. Finally she quit going back in there so we put the cage away. She lived in a couple of different places. Usually in this huge brush pile, under this truck bed and in our garage tent. Its not a closed garage.. its mostly a plastic tent whcih is my husbands cheap version of a garage. There is a box in there and she was in there a lot.
    I definately never got sick of caring for her. Thats not why she was roaming. I think she was very happy roaming. We had problems with animals scarying our rabbits to death in cages but she did well roaming because she could run and hide in places where they wouldn't scare her. To this day sometimes I still wonder if she really was killed or if shes still around. Sometimes I still find fresher rabbit piles than before. I personally think she just moved into the dune grass just outside of our yard. If she would ever come back I would try my best to get her back in a cage. Though by now she would probably be quite wild.

7. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Glad you found it!
    Sometimes our judgement calls to let an animal have some freedom backfires.

We have 2 Great Prys. Their job is to keep the boundary safe and under their control. Since we are still in the works of fencing in a large area, they don't get to run like they need to. They have gotten loose a few times and i wasn't in a hurry to get them. They always come back. They know where home is. I just hope when we get the back field finished, they don't have such a taste of freedom that they get out. I'm not putting electric back there or anywhere so we shall see ....!