Can't Find Jersey Cows!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by barnyardfun, Mar 28, 2005.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I have been looking for Jersey cow for awhile now and NO ONE has any for sale. The people I find that even have Jerseys do not want to sell them! All I am wanting is a milk cow for my family but have been unable to come up with anything. My DH wants me to get a Jersey because the are smaller bodied so she will be easier for me to handle. We have asked about the Guernsey and people just laugh at us. I guess they are harder to find then Jersey! This is getting SSSOOOO frustrating. I am starting to consider getting a milk goat since those are all I can find but I just don't like goat milk! Sorry I just needed to vent some frustration. Thanks for listening. Anyone has any tips I am really willing to listen. Thanks.

2. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

keep looking, don't give up, but you can get a goat till you get a cow
    I looked for 3-4 years before finding one in my area (she was 2 1/2 hours away)
    the family was moving to FL and weren't taking her
    but, they drove to the TN border from eastern NC when they bought her
    their neighbor went to PA for one

3. barnyardfun

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

have you found any jersey dairies? I bought mine from a dairy. I called and said I wanted a family milker and that I didn't mind bloodlines or anything just something nice. Mine is due aug 4 and reg and friendly enough and I got her for $700. You might try that. Go to jerseydirectory.com and find the list of breeders in your state. That's what I did.

5. Scottland Jerseys

Scottland Jerseys Active Member

I posted this link http://holsteinworld.com/kleemansales back in March and it's a sale that will include some Jerseys. I'll bump the post so you can see the whole thing again. Since you're in Arkansas, maybe this is a possibility for you. Good luck.

6. Donna from Mo

Donna from Mo Well-Known Member

http://www.jerseydirectory.com/?=UnitedStates/States/

If you go to the above site, you'll find many Jersey dairies listed in south Missouri, which might not be too far from you. Don't expect to get a Jersey cow cheap, but they can be bought. I found one at a dairy in Iowa that I could have had for $1,200. She was a low producer, which is why he was willing to sell her.

7. kaley3dex

kaley3dex Member

How far are you willing to travel?

8. barnyardfun

Well......that depends. If the price is right I will travel a ways. I really do want to get a Jersey because they are getting so few and far between. Let me know if you know where I might find one......thank you.

9. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I may have one for sale in about two months :) I am in Arkansas too so you wouldn't have to go very far. I know what you mean about looking for one, it took me eight months to find this one!! I want to make sure she is bred and Johne's free before I sell her. She is a 5 year old dark Jersey. She is purebred, she was originally registered but the guy I bought her from didn't want her papers so he didn't get them. She is small framed, we measured her and she is around 750-775 lbs. She is a trained nurse cow, in fact I just put a Holstein bull calf on her (another reason we want to wait a couple of months). She is VERY halter broke, easy to catch, easy to milk. We're thinking $900 for her. Her only flaw is that she only has three working quarters, one of her front ones is out. She is getting bred as we speak to a beautiful reg. Angus bull. :D

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

IF you can't find a Jersey, look for a Brown Swiss. They aren't as common as Jerseys, but they IMO are more gentle than Jerseys. They are very mellow. The calves aren't as easy to raise from what I have heard (due to their laid back nature), but are nice animals. They give decent milk, they mature fully at 6 years (production). They also will live longer, due to their late maturity (where we bought our swiss, he said they rarely get as sick as his holsteins). Another option, is a hereford, they are laid back, and will give enough milk. We have one that fed 2 Jerseys, twice a day. Each drank about a gallon twice a day (now that I remember, was thinking about that the other day). So she gave about 4 gallons, beleive me these Jerseys were fat each feeding. The other consideration with a hereford, is any sickness. Anytime we lost a calf, we let the mother dry off. You simply don't milk her, she will dry up. Herefords for some odd reason do not get sick from that, could be because of the beef property. Imagine if one day dairy animals could do that, milk fever? Mastitis? whats that? ;). Honestly, if I were to get a homstead cow, id go after a Brown Swiss, or a Hereford. Caution: Some herefords stink with milk production, but some can produce some decent milk. Some of ours are like that, while others have some nice bags.

Jeff

11. barnyardfun

quailkeeper I sent you a PM