Can't Cut Cost,So Got To Make More Money

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Feb 5, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Tried to figure how to cut cost around the House Wife said the only thing I could cut is Internet and Satelite TV,my Major entertainment.We have no food cost,Electric cost $60 a month,clothes are free or second hand.

So I need to figure how to make extra money.Thinking of Trapping and selling Produce at the Famers Market.

Any other good ideas?

big rockpile

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Write an article for a magazine, perhaps? You write pretty well, you know.

You can get the writers guidelines from the magazines website. Trouble is, these folks do the layout some months ahead of time, so by the time anything of yours got published quite a bit of time may have passed.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Those sound like a good start. They would complement one another, too, because trapping's busy season is late fall and winter, while those are down-times for gardening. If you do trapping, can you tan the skins and make stuff to sell, rather than just selling the raw skins? You'll always make more off of 'added value' items, which is why the food companies want to sell cold cereal rather than oatmeal or cornmeal, TV dinners rather than fresh meat and vegetables, baked goods rather than the ingredients to do the baking yourself.

Do you have berries you can pick and sell? I've seen people do pretty well at farmer's markets with just berries. And flowers can actually do better than food crops, and are sometimes easier to raise.

Kathleen

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I cut satellite t.v. for savings. If I have to watch t.v. isn't that often, and the local channels will do from the normal antella, or I do without. A VCR or DVD movie rental can provide entertainment if you need, rather than spend more money on satellite. Less time watching t.v. gives outlook better to do things more interesting like a hobby or craft. Why not build live traps? minnow traps? or small animal pet cages? sell 'em. Just a thought.

5. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

What about dog setting for people near you that go on vacation. I like the idea of flowers to buy. Some nice cut flowers reasonable priced would be nice for a pretty table setting. I can't always get enough to bloom to make a pretty one.

:eek:

Tapping season is almost over. They say coons are not bringing much this year. I saw a man the other day setting some traps near a beaver den in a creek. Don't know if he got any or not. Beaver used to bring a fair price.

Do you e-bay? Might be able to sell some stuff there. Old tractor parts and gun parts bring a good price.

Picking up walnuts in the fall and selling them is another option. Course thats a far piece off right now.

6. I agree with Kathleen, make crafts out of them skins instead of selling to a fur dealer. Learning to tan them is not really that hard. You say you kill several deer every year so that is the easiest hide to tan and makes lots of crafts. Or, you can become a mountainman and attend rendezvous (spelling) and sell your crafts, tanned hides, or just plain ole salted down hides. Check with several slaughter houses and see if they still have raw deer hides for sell. Around here they fetch 5 bucks apeice. Also, if you can find someone that needs a old barn tore down ask if you can rob a few peices of lumber and build birdhouses, feeders, box traps, etc.

Find stuff to have a once a month yard sale. Have it the first full weekend of the month that is when the goverment checks are in peoples hands. Today we made a little over $200 dollars.

Also, if you haven't received Ken's E-book of jobs, check it out there are lots of possibilities for extra money.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Well, speaking as someone who has had about 500 articles published and has received maybe $100 total for it I wouldn't particularly recommend free-lance writing as an income.

Ken Scharaobk

8. Ken Scharabok

P.S. Last 4th of July at the Hardys one party there said they had a greenhouse and raised 30,000 tomato plates of about 20 varieties for sale as seedlings at an outdoor flea market. Sold all they produced. However, she also became somewhat of a tomato authority so she could recommend particular varieties for peoples needs. Say she netted 50 cents per. That's about $15K from a couple of months work.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

How about taking the tomato thing to another level by growing tiny pot tomatoes such as Red Robin. Start them now or earlier and by farmers market time you'll have ripe fruit on them. I've heard people will snap up plants with ripe fruit on them in June. And you probably can ask a good price for each plant. All you need is some 4' flourescent lights and a spare room that can be heated.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I don't know what you are paying for satellite tv, but Netflix is $20 a month with unlimited use of the service, all postage included. You can rent a load of stuff from them, including series episodes. Then get what you can off the airwaves. We actually can get 2 networks all the time, and public television and Fox sometimes.

You seem to like working for yourself and being independent. So whatever you find, it must fit the free spirit. I would recommend temp work. Check out CraftyDiva's link a few days ago on temp jobs. You can earn some extra money for a while to make it all easier and then not take any for a while. Very little investment and quick returns.

11. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

BR, Good for you for holding out on the satellite TV/Internet thing. The ability to live frugally is great, but as this forum bears out, we all have our individual "luxuries" for which nobody should have to apologize. For me, it's an espresso maker. I'll be out in the bush trying to find some way of powering that sucker!

Do you have a community college anywhere near you? They often sponsor continuing ed classes which can be designed and taught by anyone who can manage to draw 10 or more students. With so many people wanting to learn "back to basics" skills, certainly there's something that you could teach. The CCs here generally charge anywhere from $35 for a one-night class to $120 for something having two or three successive sessions. The fee is split evenly between the teacher and the college. Suppose you charged $80 for a hands-on class on a Saturday and drew 10 students. Your take would be $400. Teach the same class next quarter through more than one college (this time with little or no preparation time), and you've got yourself a nice little part-time income.

12. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

hit the rendevous get together with fur wall hangings -- allready tanned! Take the beaver dry in the loop, then make a new loop of willow and use leather to sew the beaver hide in it! Value aqdded! If you dont have steel, it is expensive -- fur fish and game will have ads for various dealers. Also they have a list of market prices and whats expected to sell well and not so well! Good luck! ps a lot of work for not much return tho! Talk to the DNR and see if you can get a nuisance animal control permit and do that --pay is much better! Done both!

13. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Too often, when you need extra income, you need it now with little investment needed. I don't know what type of vehicle you have or your situation where you live, but here in Montgomery Co, AR there are a couple of people that offer trash pickup. They charge $20 mo and pick up people's trash once a week and take it to the dump. Most only have a pickup truck. The dump doesn't charge them anything to dump there. We don't have any city services for stuff like this and the alternative is that we have to take stuff to the dump ourselves. Some of these elderly people around here simply can't do it. If you had 10 people that would be $200 per mo less the cost of your gas and you could do 2 trash pickups a day.

14. Ken Scharabok

I have also heard of the local trash pick up service. Report I heard is they were paid twice. Once to haul it all and then the second time selling what they pulled out at the dump, such as aluminum cans.

15. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

BR, tanning was mentioned. Prefacing this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about the process this may be an avenue for you if you have the skills. Friend of mine recently looked into what it would cost to tan one 5# Cal/NZ White rabbit hide. Best answer he got back was $12. If you can do it cheaper than "the other guy" and with reasonable turn around... May be something to look into.

Another possibility - don't you have some personal dairy moos? Any idea what the limit is on how much you can produce before it legally needs to be regulated? You may be able to crank up production a tad. Anyone in your area do hand crafted cheeses at all?

16. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

find something the locals need or want...
    fill the need.

"I want to sell XYZ" may be a good idea IF the locals want or need XYZ.

some industrous kids here decided no one is willing to deliver pizza...
    those kids now have 3 local outlets from a basement shop in 3 yrs.... they started out selling just pizza fre edelivery... great idea they stay open till 2 am and never stop moving.

that idea did take some start up $$ but I know the one kid and it was very little, they didnt intend to deliver anyplace where they couldnt zip to on scooters ( a mile maybe?)
    they made so much so fast they now deliver in a 5 mile radious and 10 or so mles away they opened 2 more shops... smart kids!
    telling you what will sel on a local basis there is pointless for me to do, you need to study the merchants in the area and what they all sell and how well they are doing.
    there is ALWAYS something someone hasnt tried.... we heard for yrs how STUPID a chinese resturant would be around here till some nice little chinese family did it...deliver till 10 pm and a small alya can eat bar in the resturant.
    allof a sudden all these nayn sayers all love chinese food.

being broke is the real killer.... it takes cash to make cash most of time.

I make my living 60% by being a tinker...
    a LOT of my little jobs is assessing someone probem and if I can fix it or reccomend someone who can and toss a few options at them.
    a home engineering consultant?
    its amazing how many people just cant reason o=ut a problem.
    my last episode was a guy who was looking to figure out why his sewage pumps kept burning up, (some homes here have a tank and a pump to get it to the main line).
    I work part of time in a hardware store so I have an advantage of catching these poor folks when they are looking for an answer.
    so after helping this guy choose a pump and he buys it I ask him why do the pumps die so fast, he said he didnt know but would love to find out.

mmmm who could help you I dunno.. mmm
    ME!
    so I followed him home and in about 5 min I found the problem. the dum dums who put in his plastic sewage tank ( it was empty) had piled broken concrete block IN the tank to help keep it from floating out of the ground as they said.
    the blocks were deteriorating into mush and grinding the pump innards to pieces. he had the last pump there all in pieces and it was full of sand and small aggrigate, and the thing was just ruined.
    they aint designed to pump sand sludge.
    I'm not sure why they thought it would float out of the ground itwas in the guys dry basement floor.

anywho... I made 50 bucks for that hour, and I refered him to another guy who would clean the rck and sludge out of the tank for him.

a lot of it is little stuff like that.. fixing leaky sinks, putting up new doors or changing locks.

are you handy? pack up your tools and print some handyman cards. congrats your now a domestic engineer.
    note; poor folks are much more generous and willing to pay than the rich folks.

17. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

DOn't know if it will work for you but I am setting up like www.freeplants.com

Selling nursery plants is easier than cut flowers and veggies because they are only good for a short period of time. If you don't sell a small plant you take it home and grow it into a bigger plant that brings more money later. If you don't sell your veggies, you have compost... Starting from cuttings is cheap and easy. A 4 by 20 raised bed of sand, some rooting compound and the cuttings - do you have cool shrubs around your place?

You can grow a 1/2 gallon plant for less than 50 cents and get 4-5 dollars for it. So that is what I am starting in on.

18. big rockpile

Thanks Guys!! We looked up Traps just for 24 Traps its going to cost $250,for the kind I want.Wife said far as market on furs,best to skin,stretch,dry them,sell them at Auction.But Trapping Season is basically over.

Selling Plants has possibilities,but not good in this area,have to go 25-50 miles from here.Its the same with Produce,sounds good just have to haul it away from here.

Picking Black Walnuts is an idea.But around here it is 50/50 shares.

These are the best things around here.Just have to fix up my Pickup,and put a shell on it.

As for Satellite TV all I watch on it is the Outdoor Channel and Christain Channel.Just seen where Block Buster has where you can rent Movies through the mail $14 a month,need to check that out better.

big rockpile

19. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Two things I have done (bear in mind this is seasonal, and the wrong season), is chimney cleaning, and boneless deer processing. Both require a fairly small initial investment. If you do not have a grinder some local processors will do it for a fee.

20. big rockpile

tinknal my Neighbor was processing Deer,Goverment shut him down.My wife cuts up Deer and Elk on shares.

Chimney Cleaning I can't get up on Roofs.

big rockpile