Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay! I try to cook fresh as much as possible, but there are some items that come in cans that you just can't get away from. Example, the weather has been so hot lately and didn't feel like sweating in a hot kitchen. Planned on making some tuna salad for dinner yesterday, got the cans out (make a batch for a few meals) and couldn't get the can open. Broke the gears on one hand can opener, the back-up wouldn't gripe the lip on the can to open it. Pulled out the electric can opener and same thing, wouldn't gripe the lip enough to open it. Are cans being made cheaper these days, or is it the openers? The electric is a Hamilton Beach from the 60's so I know it's not poorly constructed (read as not made in China), what's the deal with can these days?

Oh BTW, I do know that the some of the newer cans have the pull tops, but pass those up ($$$$) for the regular tops. Aside from cost difference, I also notice that the pull tops are smaller serving size.

What's your secret for opening cans these days?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I'm using just a plain ol' hand opener and don't have trouble with cans. I do not use electric can openers at all.

Wonder if it's something to do with the brand of tuna you were opening?

Angie

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
I use one of those expensive hand openers, with the heavy rubber handle - it's great for arthritic hands, and never have a problem with it. It cost perhaps $9.00, but was an investment well worth it.

NeHi

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AngieM2,

I also use hand can openers, but they don't seem to be working on cans these days. The tuna (bought at Aldi's) is just an example.

I only use the electric for the knife sharping thingy on it.

It just might be Aldi cans, seems all can goods I buy there are a problem opening. Could be part of the reason the prices are cheaper there.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Try a trusty P38. Issued to the military back in the '70s and before, I keep one on my key ring at all times. Comes in handy sooo many times and will open those tricky cans. Otherwise have used the same hand can opener since the beginning of time, probly the first one ever made! Electric ones are just too noisy and a ridiculous waste of counter and/or cabinet space.

6,651 Posts
were you tryign to open the wrong end? I have found some cans have very similar looking ends, and the label was put on upside down so I tried opening the wrong end, and got the same results you got.

Is "got" a real word? It sounds so *******. I hate using it.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
michiganfarmer said:
were you tryign to open the wrong end? I have found some cans have very similar looking ends, and the label was put on upside down so I tried opening the wrong end, and got the same results you got.

"Got" seems okay..."Done got" VERY *******!

To me an electric can opener is just an awful sign of laziness and a waste of counter space. They don't work half the time anyway.

I have a good hand-operated can opener that I got at Wal Mart (don't get the cheap one)...it works on everything, every time.

Sounds like you need a new can opener.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
michiganfarmer said:

The tuna cans have a rounded bottom, only has a lip on the top of can to gripe with can opener to open.

Yes I do believe "Got" is the past tense of get..........LOL

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it looks like I'll be shopping for a new can opener. Like I said in OP the gears broke on one ( had it for a lifetime) and the back-up is a cheapy.

I only use the electric to sharpen knives, it spends most of it's time in the back of the pantry. Sees the light of day maybe every 3/4 months.

Thanks all. :)

G

·
As hand can-openers go I prefer the "Swing Away" more than any other brand. They'll even handle #10 cans with ease.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
moopups said:
Electric can openers are dual purpose devices, they are also electronic cat summoning devices.
LOL..... so you know my cats do you? They do seem to come when the hear the humming of the motor. Who says you can't train a cat?

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
I have dozens of swingaway tm can openers- so I can always find one when I need it! DBro brought us a neat side cutting one where the top becomes a smooth edged lid- use it sometimes- but can't tell can is open so sometimes grab a can from the fridge and splatter myself with beans or pasta sauce.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ditto on the "swing away". I bought on in 1975 for about $2.00 the year of our marriage, and finally had to replace it last year. The new one cost about $9.00 but if I get another 30 years out of this one it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The trick to Aldi's cans is to wash them before trying to open them, remove the paper label and to tilt the opener just a bit toward the inside of the can while turning. The lip on the Aldi's cans seem to be a bit different than some of the others I have, especially the tuna, but yes the cans are being made thinner so the lip is thinner.

I found a can of Campbells Chunky soup forgotten in a grocery bag when I was cleaning out under the kitchen sink. It had a best by 2002 date stamped on it so it may have moved here with me. What a difference in the lip size.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Only can opener we use is a Swing-Away. I have arthritis and hubby has muscular distrophy and we both love this can opener. I haven't had an electric one in years. Also haven't noticed any problem with opening cans, but then, I don't buy much in cans any more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.