Canning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wehes5, Sep 11, 2005.

1. wehes5

wehes5 Some dream; Others DO

OK< I have a question, Am I able to can my dry ingrediants for bread in a canning jar sealed for future use?What about the dough (with the liquids) :help: :help: ? Any other suggestions on important things to can?

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How about you put the dry ingredints in a zip lock bag? That way, when you are ready to bake you can pour the bagfull into a bowl, add the liquids, and you are ready to go.

When I store grain products, I always freeze them for 24 hours to kill any bug eggs.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Dough can be frozen, but not canned. You can use canning jars to store flour etc. to keep the bugs out, but I would (as was suggested) put it in the freezer for 48 hours first to be sure and kill any stray bug that might be in it. Personally, I think the use of canning jars to store flour etc. is a waste of resourses and I would use 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids. That is what I do. I store white flour, rice, sugars and a few other staples in the big food grade buckets. I buy yeast in bulk and keep it in the refrigerator......it keeps a very long time that way.

4. wehes5

I appreciate it...still learning and the advise helps...never would of thought of that:)

5. wehes5

Another awsome idea...I appreciate it. I am going to do this because I have access to zip lock bags...thanks

6. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Yup, I'd have told you exactly what Diane said. You can store flour, salt, sugar and other diy items indefinately in any container that seals against moisture getting in. Squirrels can chew through a plastic 5 gallon bucket, though, so keep that in mind. I store white, whole wheat and corn flour in the kitchen in one gallon glass pickle jars and write on them with a sharpie and tape recipes to the side, too.