Canning venison tonight. Need your help.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jan 22, 2004.

1. Okay I have my front shoulders and necks all cubed up and ready to go. I also have some trimming that I will be grinding up and would like to try canning burger as well. I am wanting to try raw pack canning as I seen this on t.v. once. The guy packed the cubed meat into the jars, did not add any broth or water as he said the meat will make its own broth. But in my canning book it says to pack the raw meat and ladle hot broth over leaving a 1" head space. So the question is should I add broth or without? If so where do I get the broth if I'm packing raw meat? Beef boulion cubes?

What about ground burger? Do I pack the jars full with no broth? Or do I leave a little space between the meat and the glass and add broth?

I appreciate you input very, very, much. Thankyou. R.h.

2. noahs_wife

noahs_wife Member

What I did for mine was put the meat in a roaster or crock pot and cooked it with like lipton onion soup mix or you can addd your own spices or whatever salt,onion,garlic and I cooked it till done or almost done that way the meat shrinks and you can put more in the jars. Fill jars with meat and put the broth in to 1 inch head space. Run a knife in the jar to get any trapped air bubbles out seal jars and process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.I hope this is what your looking for.Good Luck
    Wendy D

3. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I pack quart jars tight as full as I can get them I then add 1tsp kosher salt and 1 beef bouillon cube. The meat will make its own broth.

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I placed a beef bouillon cube in the bottom of each quart, packed them pretty full of 1" cubes, added about 1/2 tsp. +/- of kosher salt. Then I added just about 1/4 jar of water to help the bouillon dissolve. Then I pressured them for 90 minutes at 10# pressure.

Let us know how it goes!

Nance

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Wife just raw packs it,just a little salt nothing else.Yes leave some head space on the burger.

big rockpile

6. Okay we are canning right at this moment. We raw packed the cubes, didn't add salt, broth, water, or anything to them. Next batch we are going to add a little bit of salt but not much. The last time we canned anything with salt in it we couldn't stand to eat it. The recipe called for way too much salt then what we are use to.

Our only concern is packing without water we could see a lot of air spaces and it seemed no matter how tight we packed there were still small air pockets. Is this alright? Hope so cause it is too late now.

7. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

r.h., I have only done it one time but every jar sealed and is good. I packed it raw, no salt, no water, nothing but meat. I had a bit too much space left on top of the jar. I tried to pack it as tight as I could with a spoon. I have since bought a gadget called a pastry masher. It is made out of wood and has a flat end that will go down into the jar. I will be able to put more pressure on the meat and hopefully want have as much headspace next time. I used a case knife to get the air bubbles out and have since bought a plastic device made for canning. I did not have any trouble with air bubbles. Good luck!

8. Well I'm cooking my second batch of canned venison this morning. The first batch l cooked last night looks great. It's amazing how much water is in the jars. It looks like I added water when I didn't put any broth or water in it at all. This mornings batch I placed a junk of beef fat on top and added a little salt and we will see what happens or which one we like best. Altogether I will have 16 pints of canned venison. I decided not to can any ground meat. I got to looking in our freezer and noticed we are already almost out of deer sausage. So I decided to keep what ground meat I had to make more sausage with.

Once again thanks everyone for your help and support. If it turns out tasting real good I'll let you know. If I die of botulism, you won't be hearing from me so you can assume it didn't turn out right. R.H.