canning squash?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blindhen, Oct 5, 2005.

1. blindhen

blindhen Member

we have a bumber crop of squash this year..and a new baby. does anyone know if squash can be canned successfully rather than freezing it for baby food?

2. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Why can? If you have a basement or colder bedroom you aren't using, just sun-cure them and they'll store for you all winter. Last year I planted some Sweet Keepers, Red Kuri, and of course pumpkins. I cooked some down, mashed them well and froze them in freezer bags. Instant pumpkin for pies! Matter of fact, we liked Sweet Keeper better than pumpkin for pies. Lot less work to store them, though.

3. blindhen

blindhen Member

we do plan on storing a lot of them but i just thought it would also be nice to have some canned for us and to give as gifts ..we have several friends awaiting new babies. i will try the pie though!

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Any good canning book will have methods and time for pressure canning squash or pumpkin. We usually do a canner of pints if some of the squash don't seem to be keeping well in the root cellar. It is real handy to have it ready for a pie, cake, bread, etc., without having to cook up a squash first.

5. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

In Texas we don't get to have storage basements (though one day I might try putting in a "bomb shelter" to use as one. All of my canning books said to freeze, not can my squash....said it made it mushy. My nut uncle (who like to set up and experiment each and every way of doing things on his own...really, bought 10 different bread machines when they FIRST came out and you couldnt get one for under $100.00) did the experiments on his own and reported to me that freezing squash sucks, can it. Mom actully found a recipe but by that time our bumper crop had gone bad because we had planted more than we could eat, and took too long finding out how in heck to store it (like I said....no root cellers down here in Texas...it confuses the contractors) If you really are interested I could get the recipe from her tomorrow, and post it. (I'm dying to know how it turns out)

6. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Darn it. Now you got me craving squash...and I'm all out....cry. pout. I love squash....blubber (can you tell I'm pmsing???) *big sad craving squash eyes*

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I put up about 300 quarts of pumpkin and squash, last year. still got lots of it . and plan on eating it all winter. great for a prep thing.
    just google for recipes, there are a zillion of them out there.

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Even though the newer home extension books say not to can squash, we always can the yellow crooked neck kind. If you drain it well you can cook it just like you do the frozen ones, fry it, bake it, use it in pies, for babyfood, whatever. I can't recall how long we pressure can it though. Would likely be the same as pumpkin.