Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bumper crop of roma tomatoes and so beef master and early girl tomatoes.

I would really like to find a recipe for making spaghetti sauce so that the spices will have time to work. I've tried a few recipes but they are lacking something or maybe have the wrong spices.

I'm growing oregano, sweet basil, and sweet marjoram so I have access to fresh spices. Plus, whatever else I need is in the store.

Can anyone advise me on what spices to use and approximate amounts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sauce is pretty easy to make so i don't can it. I can whole peeled tomatos. This gives versatility because i can make a salsa just as well as pasta sauce.

Pasta sauce takes 45 minutes. Basically add the whole canned tomato, oilve oil, and spices (garlic, onion, oregano, whatever...) and let it simmer for 45 minutes. This times out close. Start it just prior to filling the pasta pot with water. Pretty simple. I don't have an exact ingredient list. I thought i would spend a year tweeking and then can the sauce, but i like the flexibility and ease of making it each time.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking that canning the pasta sauce will give the spices more time to permeate the sauce.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm thinking that canning the pasta sauce will give the spices more time to permeate the sauce.
It doesn't. But if you want to can your sauce, go ahead. Use whatever spices you want to, everyone makes it differently. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever made sauce twice the same way.

Or just look up random recipes on the internet. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would say to add flavor, add garlic and onions. Saute them a bit in olive oil before adding your tomatoes and other herbs like basil and oregano.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say to add flavor, add garlic and onions. Saute them a bit in olive oil before adding your tomatoes and other herbs like basil and oregano.
Thanks. You don't happen to have a recipe do you?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Thanks. You don't happen to have a recipe do you?
That's it right there! 😁
I keep my sauce very simple. Sorry I don't have measurements, I go by eye. Or by how ever many tomatoes I have. I make small batches and freeze small jars. Haven't attempted canning yet, shame on me.
I'll get there someday.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some tomatoes can be 'canned' by simply heating them in the jar. They must not exceed a certain pH. I believe that some people drop the pH with lemon juice. I think litmus paper strips for testing can be purchased at a pharmacy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have found that flavoring from spices permeates into the sauce best while actually cooking it. For this reason I slowly cook the sauce for half the day sometimes on a very low heat setting.

My favorite is to sauté about 4 or 5 full garlic cloves along with fresh basil leaves in a little virgin olive oil until the garlic turns a nice deep brown. I then wrap it all up in cheesecloth and toss it in the pot of sauce to let it simmer on low for hours. I take it out to stir in the flavor once in a while and then put it back in. Then I just remove it and toss it when done.

Our house smells amazing for most of the day when we’re having pasta for dinner.

The sauce itself I keep very basic when preserving. Tomatoes and just a little fresh basil blended together with a little salt and pepper to my liking and that’s about it. I also keep a few potted basil plants going in my kitchen window all of the time to have it for fresh pickings, so most of the basil goes in at cooking.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found that flavoring from spices permeates into the sauce best while actually cooking it. For this reason I slowly cook the sauce for half the day sometimes on a very low heat setting.

My favorite is to sauté about 4 or 5 full garlic cloves along with fresh basil leaves in a little virgin olive oil until the garlic turns a nice deep brown. I then wrap it all up in cheesecloth and toss it in the pot of sauce to let it simmer on low for hours. I take it out to stir in the flavor once in a while and then put it back in. Then I just remove it and toss it when done.

Our house smells amazing for most of the day when we’re having pasta for dinner.

The sauce itself I keep very basic when preserving. Tomatoes and just a little fresh basil blended together with a little salt and pepper to my liking and that’s about it. I also keep a few potted basil plants going in my kitchen window all of the time to have it for fresh pickings, so most of the basil goes in at cooking.
I'll give this a try. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts