Canning Slicers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rocket, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a lot of extra big slicing tomatoes this summer that I don't want to go to waste. I also have a nice hand-cranked tomato mill that removes the seeds and skin and purees the tomato flesh. Now I'm trying to teach myself how to do some hot-water-bath canning. I'm adding 2 T lemon juice and a half teaspoon of salt to each quart jar, then boiling for 85 minutes. My first try didn't do so well (didn't get the lids to seal). My second try got the lids to seal, but all that cooking separated the tomato solids from the liquids. Now I've got half a jar of tomato paste floating on half a jar of pink water! LOL. So, to can slicers is it better to cook the puree before hand to boil off some of the water? Any other ideas or tips from you canning experts out there?

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I've always canned slicers. I just peeled them (put them in boiling water until the skin splits, then fish them out with a slotted spoon and put them in a big ol' bowl... Let them cool a bit and slip the skins right off). Some will stay whole, some will kind of fall apart. Cut the big ones into smaller pieces, cut out the hard yellow stem part. Put in jars and can.

I used my chunky canned tomatoes in spaghetti sauce, chili, and soups. It always separated into tomato looking stuff and amber liquid. Looks awful. Just shake it up right before you open it and use it and it's fine.

Your problem with the lids sealing was probably due to not wiping the rims completely clean after filling the jars. Tomatoes are messy, messy, messy. If you don't have one of those canning funnels, get one. They're the bomb.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Thanks, Turtlehead. I did notice that shaking up the jar temporarily mixed it all back together again. And my sealing problem wasn't a messy rim. My family always complains that I put lids on too tight (they can't open them up again :D ), so I made sure not to over-tighten the lids. Unfortunately, I UNDER-tightened them! Doh!

4. pondman

pondman Well-Known Member

cooking the puree befor canning does help it not to separate. we usualy pour our's through pantyhoses first (gets rid of alot of the water)

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Trouble with boiling it down is you have to stand there and stir it constantly. If you will put your purree into a large pot and refrigerate it overnite, the solids will settle down some. Pour the clear liquid off the top into a clean pot and put it on low heat and you can leave it to boil down without standing there all day. Or just drink the liquid and can the rest.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i like that idea.

7. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I do too. Thanks for the ideas, everybody.