Canning recipes for cucumbers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rnmom23, Jul 27, 2005.

1. rnmom23

rnmom23 Well-Known Member

Our family doesn't care for pickles all that much, so that's out. We've been eating them raw with almost every meal and they're coming out our ears! Any canning recipes other than pickles would be appreciated, or even regular recipes. thanks :)

2. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

Here's a quick and easy way to enjoy cucumbers ... slice cucumbers (maybe 1/4 inch thick--not too thin) and place in bowl. Depending on the size of the cuke(s), put 1/4-1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in with the cuke. Add sugar to taste 'til you get to the right combo of sweet/sour that tastes good to you (start with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar). You can do this with cucumbers fresh from the garden, but it's really good if chilled for 30-60 minutes.

I've also got one with sour cream and onions I'll send you tomorrow. :)
    nina

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I like creamed cucumbers...
    I am not a recipe so of person, sorry
    I just put in a bit of mayo, some milk, a good splash of vinegar (any kind will do) sugar to taste, and a bit of pepper (optional)...i take these and put them in a jar and shake till i get a creamy mix and put it over cucumber and onion (also optional) and let it sit in the frig all day or overnight and it is wonderful... Just add a bit more mayo if to thin or a bit of milk if too thick. Sorry but that is the best "recipe" i can do...

Belinda

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Not many canning recipies for cukes except pickles. Do you eat relish as in on hot dogs?

6. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Well, I did *something* (that had to do with 'can' and 'microwave') with a cucumber one time, but it's pretty embarassing. If you can figure it out, it might be a good use for all those cukes! ;)